75 replies to this topic

#1 M31

M31

Posted 05 June 2010 - 20:34

Content removed to avoid upset.

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 June 2010 - 21:15

You've all that gear and no TrackIR (or other headtracking) device? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Buddy, that's where the immersion starts! You won't believe the sense of freedom it gives you!

Not trying to ridicule you, but it's obvious how big flightsimming is a hobby to you so you're doing yourself a crime by missing out on 6 degrees of freedom!

Here's my desk, a whole lot of dust and clutter and half the room I live in:

#3 M31

M31

Posted 05 June 2010 - 22:44

You've all that gear and no TrackIR (or other headtracking) device? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Buddy, that's where the immersion starts! You won't believe the sense of freedom it gives you!

Not trying to ridicule you, but it's obvious how big flightsimming is a hobby to you so you're doing yourself a crime by missing out on 6 degrees of freedom!

Here's my desk, a whole lot of dust and clutter and half the room I live in:

Nice set-up, Jorri, actually the reason I've been stalling on a known good flight sim add-on such as Track-IR is because of my disability … what I have is Ankylosing Spondylitis … I was diagnosed more than 20 years ago, and at age 50 its got a lot worse and I've had to retire from working life in very good paying oil work as other arthritic conditions attack my joints … as far as Track IR usage goes … My spine from hips to neck is mostly now fused together … I might have a couple of degrees of neck movement now and I could compensate with the chair swivel and back and forth tilt of my comp chair? but my head is now pretty much fused solid to my spine.

I'm cool with this after year's of dealing with it and I guess I compensate well? … I don't look for sympathy, just practical help.

But reading about Track IR it makes me realise what I'm missing.

I've done a lot of search about Track IR for folk with my condition, with zero success (it is a very rare condition) and Flight Simmers with it must be even rarer.

But for those with this device … how far do you have to move your head left or right or up and down? A couple of degrees I might manage, indeed the doctors say I should fight AS with neck and other exercises even though I can hardly move my head at all any-more … Track IR might actually help me exercise wise?

Sorry for going OT … but something like this is really hard to quantify and post appropriately.

#4 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 June 2010 - 22:55

You can set it up in many different ways. The nice thing about TrackIR is that you don't actually have to turn your head as much as you would in real life (obviously, since you wouldn't see the screen any more). But it's also no use turning your head until your eyes are watching the edge of your screen, because then you would have to turn your eyeballs to look back again to see what you want to see.

Checking my TrackIR software shows that I have to look about 20 degrees to the left or the right to have my TiR look 180 degrees back (ROF doesn't actually go that far, more like 170 max). And I'm sitting very close to a pretty big (32 inch) screen. So then I'm looking at about 4 centimetres inward from the edges of my display.

Likewise, in order to look about 90 degrees up, I have to move my head about 13 degrees upwards.

If a disability keeps TrackIR from being a perfect solution for you, but you do have quite some recources available, just using multiple screens might be the way to go: in that case you don't really depend on the motion of your head, and your eyeballs can do the bulk of the work. Unfortunately, this usually means having multiple screens next to eachother, and in the heat of a dogfight, you mostly want to look upward to where your enemy is (should be) when you're chasing him in a tight turn.

But I believe with some new videocards you can install multiple monitors in any configuration you like and have your in-game resolution adapted to it? Or is that not how it works? Maybe someone can shed a light on those new cards with multiple outputs.

Anyway, so we have the same stick (FFB2) and mouse? I find them both pretty awesome. Are you flying ROF with your stick in front of you or to your side?

I've never used a hotas (I think they're pompous :) ) and I haven't used any other throttle system than the saitek quottle throdrant- bu I think it's perfect for ROF, since it at least somewhat resembles the flimsy throttle, radiator and mixture levers in those old planes and it offers the perfect combination of throttle, radiator and mixture.

#5 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 05 June 2010 - 23:00

Im sorry but this looks like…a horse is starting a topic "Lets see your d***s"…Mine look like this: ***********************************

btw force sensing stick (not moving) is not good for prop sims….for jet sims yep….to some degree

#6 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 June 2010 - 23:02

I'm not sure that speaking about horse's penises is appropriate on this forum. Although everyone may write some deep thoughts on this subject, I'd like it be deleted before I see it.

#7 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 05 June 2010 - 23:06

I'm not sure that speaking about horse's penises is appropriate on this forum. Although everyone may write some deep thoughts on this subject, I'd like it be deleted before I see it.

I think your the first one to write the word p****….anyway it was a joke…take it as joke….and I thought we are all men here….ok we have 2-3 girls on forum….

#8 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 June 2010 - 23:12

Have a look around on the forums and you'll soon enough find out where my post comes from 8-) no hard feelings mate.

#9 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:50

M31, with trackIR you don't necessarily need full vision, you can go for half the the viewing range and then use the hat switch for snap views behind . I'm guessing that you already use snapviews.

I use trackIR but have snapviews mapped for extreme back views and up views. I think with the software set to "max" out it's parameters, you could get a lot of virtual movement with very little head movement.

I think it would be worth the investment, especially as you can just sell it if it doesn't work out. They don't lose value.

#10 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:12

My system is prob the lowest around here :oops:

This is my current setup for now……hopefully soon I should be building a new system and I should have my computer room all dry walled and painted by then.

#11 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:22

Custom built chair, plans available if you want them.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#12 M31

M31

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:43

Im sorry but this looks like…a horse is starting a topic "Lets see your d***s"…Mine look like this: ***********************************

btw force sensing stick (not moving) is not good for prop sims….for jet sims yep….to some degree

Did you read the whole thread or just skim over it? If my pictures of my Flight sim rig cause you such distress … I'll remove them.

If your ego is so fragile , that comparisons with yours, leave you to comment like this … then I don't know what to do?

And where did I say the Saitek X-65F was good for prop sims? I posted the pic and distinctly mentioned it was a HOTAS for appropriate sims.

Please try and keep up.

#13 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:52

Don't let them bother ya M31.

@ Jay

How do you like the new Logitech G940 setup? I've been thinking about buying one myself.

#14 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:11

Thinking about a 32" LCD for the monitor

Is that wise?

#15 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:21

I have one, LED backlit. So it's basically a TV.

A TV is not meant to be used as a monitor. I don't really know the technical details behind it, but it has lower pixel density or something like that. It means that if you look at a word document on it, it will actually be a bit tough to read.

So while I have a full HD resolution, I set up my icons and text to all be a bit bigger and I also zoom in a bit on every website I look at.

Having said that, I've grown used to that and when playing games it's absolutely beautiful. I've got this bigass screen pretty close in front of me (far enough to still see everything going on though, which is not really a problem) and it looks really good. And I never noticed lower response times being a problem (which aren't that bad with this Samsung anyway), even when playing fast FPS games like Call of Duty.

I'd say it was worth it.

#16 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 13:09

AW, I like my G940. I had the "spikey rotaries" problem with the throttle module, but someone posted a simple hardware fix here on the forum that resolved the issue for me. Overall, I'd give the features set an A, the ergonomics of it a B, and the quality a B as well. For $285 you get a matched set of mid-to-high-end components and FFB. That's a pretty good value imo.

Btw, regarding the monitor question, I have a 28" Hannspree, 1920x1200, that I paid $300 for new. It's a proper monitor, so the resolution is sufficiently high for typical computing tasks, and the screen is large enough so that I'm not really craving anything bigger. A triple-head setup with these bad boys would be pretty tight tho ;)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#17 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:10

Thx JD

I'll have to check it out :)

#18 winger2

winger2

Posted 08 June 2010 - 15:20

Here is a pic of my setup.

Winger

Attached Files

#19 catchov

catchov

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:10

I feel inadequate :oops:

#20 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:10

My system is prob the lowest around here :oops:

This is my current setup for now……hopefully soon I should be building a new system and I should have my computer room all dry walled and painted by then.

Wow where do you put your feet?

main computer on the left with a guest computer on the right.

#21 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:13

Winger

Is it possible to put 3 more on top for a better view for dogfighting?

#22 winger2

winger2

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:24

Winger

Is it possible to put 3 more on top for a better view for dogfighting?

There are already eyefinity 6 Edition graphicscards (5870) available on wich you can connect 6 monitors. Eyefinity 9 underway.
Problem with the 6er is that they ONLY have mini displayports. Monitors for that are pretty expensive. My 3 Monitors are LED backlit (powersaving) and cost only 150 € per.
All three consume only 1,5 times the power of one normal (non LED Backlit) 24" monitor.
One might say "hey just use passive adapters to connect DVI monitor to mini DP. I am not sure about the Eyefinity 6 edition graphiscards but my Standard 5970 has 2 DVI ports and one mini DP wich CANNOT be used with a simple passive adapter. I had to buy an active adapter wich costs like 100€ extra (also not every adapter active adapter works).

Winger

#23 winger2

winger2

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:52

Custom built chair, plans available if you want them.

Nice:) If you keep whining about the DR i turn on the electricity to that electric chair of yours:)

Winger

#24 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 09 June 2010 - 13:26

I don't really know the technical details behind it, but it has lower pixel density or something like that. It means that if you look at a word document on it, it will actually be a bit tough to read.

It is simple. When you increase the size of panel without increasing resolution, pixels become larger and/or space between pixels. The more you increase the size, the more it becomes apparent that you are looking at "grid". Not very noticeable when watching movies, but very apparent when looking at text or diagonal lines. Small, but high resolution display gives the pretties image. Large, but low resolution one - the ugliest.

#25 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 09 June 2010 - 13:39

Yes, but wouldn't a 32" TV look worse than a 32" monitor? Esecially when trying to read small letters?

#26 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 09 June 2010 - 13:54

Yes, but wouldn't a 32" TV look worse than a 32" monitor? Esecially when trying to read small letters?

Not necessary, if they have the same resolution and TV does not have some fancy features whose are supposed to make picture more "vivid" or some cheats to mask low quality. Generally TVs have more incorrect colors and are optimized for movie watching, so it is more likely to have better experience reading text on computer display than on TV, but as I have said already - this not a hard rule.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 09 June 2010 - 14:01

OK, thanks :P

#28 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 09 June 2010 - 14:45

Messier NaturalPoint originally developed their hardware especially for disabled people, that's always been their prime business. They brought TIR to the gaming market later in the day as another business opportunity. Have a look at their site in case you see something that may be useful to you

The non-6DOF earlier kit (with just a dot) does not respond to the head turning/twisting, although this is how it appears to work. It responds to sideways deviations of the complete head and body. You can lean left and right and the view rotates. Don't think that with TIR 3 say you need to twist your head around relative to your body which would be difficult for you

It's only when they produced the 6DOF (six degrees of freedom) that there's a 3D clip that responds to the head turning relative to the body

For example I've set up my 6DOF TIR rig to be a simple dot for Il-2 and RoF and it works fine, just leaning left and right turns my pilot's head around

Ming

#29 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 14:56

Nice:) If you keep whining about the DR i turn on the electricity to that electric chair of yours:)

Winger

:lol:

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#30 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 09 June 2010 - 16:13

Not necessary, if they have the same resolution and TV does not have some fancy features whose are supposed to make picture more "vivid" or some cheats to mask low quality. Generally TVs have more incorrect colors and are optimized for movie watching, so it is more likely to have better experience reading text on computer display than on TV, but as I have said already - this not a hard rule.

I used my computer on my 60 inch rear projection TV a few times with IL2. The letters on the icons were a little hard to read in windows but once the game was up and running no issues with the picture maybe just a little fuzzy.

#31 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 09 June 2010 - 16:26

Never been able to 'fly' with the joystick off to the side like that! I know a few do that,but it just feels so…unnatural.

#32 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 17:31

Took me about a week to feel perfectly comfortable with it. Now it doesn't bother me at all. Securing the stick to the surface is helpful.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#33 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:20

Never been able to 'fly' with the joystick off to the side like that! I know a few do that,but it just feels so…unnatural.

I have mine angled downward and outward so that they are very comfortable for long flights.

#34 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 10 June 2010 - 13:14

#35 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 10 June 2010 - 16:35

Older pic, but here you go:

#36 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 June 2010 - 17:29

I like the fridge next to your desk :lol:

#37 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 10 June 2010 - 17:43

lol minibar, lucky devil! :)

Ming

#38 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 10 June 2010 - 17:53

Others may talk it…I live it. 8-)

#39 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 10 June 2010 - 20:18

TX-Thunderbolt,

Where did you find the keyboard wall mount?

#40 winger2

winger2

Posted 10 June 2010 - 21:53

Older pic, but here you go:

I like how there is seemingly nothing else in this room but his pit. I bet hes sleeping in it:)

Winger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users