Photo
- - - - -

Rise of Flight map for iPhone and iPad?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 31 May 2010 - 14:56

Just a thought. It would be a very handy "knee pad" to use while flying. Added to that, it's a good bit of free advertising for the game if it were present on the iTunes store for other people to discover. Maybe add a selection of choice screenshots to tempt new and potential Rise of Flight customers too.

What do you reckon Neoqb? :ugeek:

#2 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:57

well, iPhone/iPod Touch is not good for maps, iPad is much better.

I thought once to make map (BTW: I'm registered iPhone developer), but my idea was to use iPad as command center for fast tactics drawings.

#3 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:32

Be great if you did the app, I'd get it (writing this from a iPad so am keen for it).

#4 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:12

Cheers Taleks2. Yeah, I'd very much like an iPad. Not sure if I could justify the cost though.
Splitting the map up into chunks for the phone/pod would be good. Depends what kind of resolution can be had I guess. Sometimes while flying I wish there was some app guide to RoF like other titles have. Would make it handy when flying types I'm not familiar with to help with not exceeding revs/temperatures etc.

#5 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 01 June 2010 - 13:37

Splitting the map up into chunks for the phone/pod would be good
there is no problem to make UI like in standard Maps application (although it will require some preparation of data). However, I think relatively small screen on iPhone is not convenient for maps navigation (that's just IMHO). Anyway, if I'll ever make such application, it will be available on iPhone as well, as I've both iPod and iPad.

Sometimes while flying I wish there was some app guide to RoF like other titles have. Would make it handy when flying types I'm not familiar with to help with not exceeding revs/temperatures etc.
Hm… well, let's return to question of iPhoneOS application after 15th of June. I'll have more freetime and shall look, what is possible to develop.

PS:
As for official application, I'll forward this suggestion to project manager.

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:32

I thought an i-Phone would probably be too small for the map idea when I first saw this thread, but then I held mine up to my monitor and realized that my i-Phone screen isn't really much smaller (if at all) than the size of the in-game map I use that pops up in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. I think it might actually work as a map app for the i-Phone - I'd certainly give it a try :D

One thing I've always thought would be cool in the game would be to have the map be visible in the cockpit when you looked down into your lap/seat, sort of like it was on your leg/knee, instead of having it pop up in some random corner of your screen - any chance that would be something that could be programmed in the game fairly easily?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#7 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:12

I can picture Baron von R in his Dr1 at 12,000 feet fiddling around with his iPhone! :lol:

#8 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:33

I'm all for the maps for Iphone, perhaps use the 2 finger zoom function to get in close.
Just have to watch it using it though, in Australia the law will pinch you for using a phone while operating a motor vehicle. :mrgreen:

Vitae elit Brevior

#9 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:04

I'm all for the maps for Iphone, perhaps use the 2 finger zoom function to get in close.

Yep, that's what I was imagining. ;)

#10 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:08

I can picture Baron von R in his Dr1 at 12,000 feet fiddling around with his iPhone! :lol:

Happened on both sides in both wars.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jPIF69oy50g">

:mrgreen:

#11 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 02 June 2010 - 16:53

Well, I've spent a bit of time on map. Here is ultra short teaser: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IzEEmU591rw">
If anybody wants to split map to tiles (256x256 pixels) with several levels of detail (100%, 50, 25), it'll help much.

#12 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:59

Mate, looks great. I'd love to help but am completely clueless here. All I can offer is my pledge to buy the app once released
Cheers
Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

#13 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:56

Yes! Thats the stuff. The resolution actually looks pretty good too. Watching with great interest. 8-)

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:18

I have an ipod touch and have used it for maps and missions orders during FSO in Aces High. I can't think of a similar need for RoF because the waypoints are drawn on the map for us, but an app wouldn't hurt.

#15 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:47

I've made full map for iPod, app size is about 240 Mb, probably I need use lower color depth for chunks :)
Here it is: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uvKHsRl1NG4">
and for iPad users: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7LX0pJMzb2A">

Well, performance is not the best, but no more coding for today.

#16 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 03 June 2010 - 14:49

You mean Freiherr von Makintosch?

#17 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 03 June 2010 - 15:22

I've made full map for iPod, app size is about 240 Mb, probably I need use lower color depth for chunks :)
Here it is: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uvKHsRl1NG4">
and for iPad users: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7LX0pJMzb2A">

Well, performance is not the best, but no more coding for today.

That looks very good. Nice work.

I thought about a small touch screen for FSX and BS in the past. It would be a good alternative to buying something like the Saitek radio stack and instruments.

#18 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:32

Damn good effort so far. Thinking of features, my initial thoughts were just a plain zoom-able map. Now I'm wondering if a few other things may be possible. A "bookmark" feature that allows you to jump to a preselected area or level of zoom. Also some way of overriding the i-things natural tendency to power down after a minute or so.

#19 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:03

Looking good so far. One thing about the video - it just highlighted the biggest beef I have about my i-Phone's GUI, which is the need to keep squeeze-zooming all the time (which is an interesting concept in theory, but not all that great in practice, at least for me). Is it possible for an app to have a "virtual zoom button" type control, that would let you just tap some spot on the screen to zoom in and out instead of having to do all that two-finger squeeze-zooming?

It may not be that big a deal, since the way I plan/hope to be able to use this is simply to get it zoomed in to my immediate mission area (basically my airfield to the front/target and back) and leave it there for the whole mission, so I hope not to have to be doing a lot of zooing while I'm trying to fly. But it'd be nice to have if it's possible and not hard to do.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#20 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:02

Well I've been using my iPod Touch for a couple of years now to read pdf manuals and books and view photos (i.e. maps). I use an app called "Files" to view any file and zoom in-out as desired. While it's true a bigger iPad may be desirable, with my iPod sitting snugly in its dock on the desk it sits in just the right place for a map and / or keyboard reference card, so I don't really need one. It also has the advantage of being small enough to slip into my pocket and read pdf manuals and books anywhere I like (currently reading Manfred von Richthofen's diary and 'The Blond Knight of Germany' on it). If someone was to buy me an iPad for Xmas though, I wouldn't refuse :)

"the killer skies will get us all" -Hans von Hammer

#21 Habu

Habu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 22:35

Interresting. :D

Drawing the waypoint would be awesome. ;)

#22 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 16 July 2010 - 22:53

taleks2 - have you done any further work on this?

I know that I use the iPad for a lot of flight sim stuff now, but at the moment it's only for maps and some stick profiles jpgs (for different sims).

The one thing I know I would like is the ability to have a map, place a compass rose, then touch for the first waypoint. The information given would at the simplest be a nav tool, but if you made the map grids known for the map, you could also calc the distance.

Anyway, just dreaming ideas, haven't got the time myself to learn how to code the apps and create this one myself…

BTW - this wouldn't be limited to just ROF (the trick being to add a data set to each map to define grid reference vs Km).

#23 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 17 July 2010 - 00:09

taleks2 - have you done any further work on this?
Well, I've fixed one memory issue and started work on ability to download maps from web.
Map was recoded with lower graphics quality to save more memory. I've thought about changes in rendering, which may help to speed up scrolling, but this code is in early stage of development.
However, since neoqb acquisition I don't know anymore, is it permitted to use map in 3rd party projects.

The one thing I know I would like is the ability to have a map, place a compass rose, then touch for the first waypoint.
It's possible to implement now, but waypoints and descriptions must be added manually, which is not convenient.
I've thought on periodical automated mission parsing and loading to some server and then downloading objectives to device.

The information given would at the simplest be a nav tool, but if you made the map grids known for the map, you could also calc the distance.
Map grids are on the current map already, it's identical to one of versions of game map.
As for compass rose, It can be added at any time, I just need good picture for it.

BTW - this wouldn't be limited to just ROF (the trick being to add a data set to each map to define grid reference vs Km).
In fact it's not limited to RoF, it's possible to store several maps in one application already.
However, I'm thinking about downloading maps with caching map chunks, or syncing maps via iTunes as application files (available since iOS 3.2)

I hope to work more on this project at vacations, now it's a bit difficult to find time.

#24 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 17 July 2010 - 00:50

Cheers for the update Taleks - understand the time factor.

#25 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:54

I thought interested people might find these two maps useful. I've been using them on the iphone through the free PDF Reader Lite app. It loads the maps up and allows you to zoom and scroll, as well as make bookmarks to allow you to jump to any number of preset locations and zoom levels. Very handy, even with the large frontline map available at the RoF Wiki.

Interestingly, viewing the maps on the phone is much easier than using the in-game map or the printed version. And I'm not even an apple fanboy…!

http://www.mediafire...t3tejsq8se702r9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...t3tejsq8se702r9

;)

#26 effte

effte

Posted 15 August 2010 - 17:28

Feathered,
thank you so much for reminding me of this option! It is working brilliantly.

The newer iPhones/iPods (at least, not sure about earlier generations) got a built in eBook library with great PDF reading capability with the second to last update, so no need for additional software.

It couldn't use the A1 PDF map, but the four A3 maps it handles just great! Of course Napoleon was right in saying that everything of importance happens between two map sheets, but then I guess I'll supplement it with the in-game map.

Oh, and one of these days I'll get around to getting the map printed in a useable format so I can whip out the felt tip pens. :)

Cheers,
Fred

#27 Matthias46

Matthias46

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:16

Very interested :)

#28 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 16 August 2010 - 14:55

Glad those are going to be useful to you, effte.
As for the main map, you might want to try this one. It works great for me.

http://www.aerosoft2...meMap_Front.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aerosoft2...meMap_Front.pdf

;)

#29 SC/JG_Ivank

SC/JG_Ivank

Posted 20 August 2010 - 23:39

I have the entire area mapped in sections of each major grid and a master index file as well.
There are 36 Sector maps and a single Index map. Each sector map is about 60Km x 60Km. In my case I have each sector printed out in A4 in a Flip folder. works well. There is an Cross ref Index PDF that also lists each airfield Alphabetically with its grid and the reverse order as well.

Here is the Grid Index:

Here is a sample Map for Grid A2

Happy to donate the lot for the cause if you want them Taleks2.

Each Grid map is in png format at a Res of 1637 x 1309

#30 Habu

Habu

Posted 09 September 2010 - 18:33

Any news from the dev ?

#31 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 09 September 2010 - 18:55

Is there anywhere we can get PDF copies of these maps, especially the sector maps? I have recently got an HTC phone with andriod on, and using one PDF map from feathereds link it works quite well.

Id be happy with just the PDFs, gives me all the functionality i need.

#32 Zap64

Zap64

Posted 09 September 2010 - 19:25

PDF on android would work for me!

#33 dozer

dozer

Posted 02 October 2010 - 21:24

If I might ask a naive question:
If these maps are available in a form that matches the game, why haven't they been included in the game itself by the developers to whom we have paid our money? Why must we search and search and have to downloaded obscure unpacking applications that come with so much junk from other sources. The files exist why can't we simply have them as part of the game we have bought??

#34 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:51

If these maps are available in a form that matches the game, why haven't they been included in the game itself by the developers to whom we have paid our money? Why must we search and search and have to downloaded obscure unpacking applications that come with so much junk from other sources. The files exist why can't we simply have them as part of the game we have bought??
Box version of game included printed map, maps in pdf are available on Aerosoft site (european publisher of RoF). They are available in pdf format for free.
pdf is one of the most portable and open formats, it is chosen for reference in ISO for development of portable format standard, pdf is widely used in MacOS/Linux/Windows and mobile operating systems.

So, I don't understand what do you mean by "unpacking" application. You don't need anything except Acrobat Reader (xpdf, PDF viewer - all are free) to open RoF map,
but it may be more comfortable to use specialized applications. You have in-flight map in game as well.

I used chunked version of map only for my own hobby - iOS development. It's not neoqb or 777 Studios or whatever else project.

#35 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 05 October 2010 - 16:15

Thats an good idea. But iPhone and iPod Touch are too small (Display).
But its good for iPad

#36 von_Semmel

von_Semmel

Posted 05 October 2010 - 16:46

How about an Rise of Flight App?( in AppStore of Apple)

#37 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:07

Actually the iphone with a pdf map is easier to use than the in-game map, and leagues ahead of the printed one. I wouldn't have thought so, but it really does work better.

How about an Rise of Flight App?( in AppStore of Apple)

Maybe an app that reads through a threads previous posts for you? ;)

#38 =FB=Chapay

=FB=Chapay

Posted 06 October 2010 - 15:34

сделать возможность видеть карту из игры одновременно I-pod или I-Phon? чтоб не раскрывать её на экране?

#39 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 06 October 2010 - 23:29

сделать возможность видеть карту из игры одновременно I-pod или I-Phon? чтоб не раскрывать её на экране?
в смысле отображать всю информацию включая цели миссии и текущее положение?
Теоретически это можно сделать, если игра будет отсылать такие данные или будет запущен фоновый парсер.
Но практически это мало кому нужно.

#40 von_Semmel

von_Semmel

Posted 07 October 2010 - 14:55

Why Not :))))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users