- - - - -

Video tutorials on Mission editing

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 25 February 2011 - 15:34

I have two questions:

1. The written "Mission Editor Lessons" found elsewhere at the RoF website don't seem to be accurate as to how the mission builder works now works. Should one attempt to follow those or the videos?

2. I cannot get the scenery to load as you describe in video #2. I followed your instructions twice. The first time the scenery seemed to download completed but nothing appeared on the map. The second time, the download never seemed to finish. What am I doing wrong?

#42 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 25 February 2011 - 16:10

1. Videos are of a later date than the lessons, but both should still work?
2. If this is about the "ntrunc" etc template files.. these are very big and can take a looong time to load. Be patient, sometimes you need to click once to let the objects apear. Also, are you sure you don't have objects filtered out? See tools->object filter.

#43 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 25 February 2011 - 16:31

I found now that they did appear. I happened to click on my test mission in the mission tree and a list of blocks was there even though the white icons squares did not appear on the map as they did on your video. I zoomed way in on the map and found the objects to be there.

The lessons caused me a problem because in lesson one it says I needed to download the "Base for trunc and Base notrunc group files. But, they were not to be found because they apparently now are already located in mission builder. It took a long time to figure that out.

Perhaps the lessons should either be updated or just deleted and your videos substutited into their place at the RoF website.

Thanks for the reply.

#44 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:14

Sorry to bother you again but in video 4a, I cannot make your instruction regarding connecting the initial waypoint to the plane work.

I have watched the video and then jumped to mission builder immediately and followed your instructions exactly perhaps 25 times and it will not work. Everything appears as in the video but when I click on "Find object" and then left click (or click any other way), nothing happens.

What am I missing here?

#45 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 26 February 2011 - 16:35

The initial waypoint needs to be triggered somehow before it becomes an instruction to your plane Rutzen, you can do this from Mission Begin or from an OnTakeOff message. Then make your plane the Object of the initial waypoint

Basic Circuit: setup

Ming

#46 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 26 February 2011 - 19:15

Thanks Ming.

I studied your info and suddenly the light went on. The reason the green line and green arrow weren't appearing is they weren't turned to appear in the hotkeys.

I fumbled around clicking on the hotkeys until I found the right ones. Now I am back on track.

I have a feeling I will need the inspiration of your materials some more.

Until next time, thanks,

#47 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 28 February 2011 - 15:52

Ming -

I am a bit farther along in the videos and now can see the value of a basic flight circuit set up that can be used as sort of a template rather than creating the flight circuits from scratch in each mission.

I don't know that I have yet the knowledge to be able to import flight circuit templates into a map each time I want to make a mission.

Have you created such flight circuits that can be obtained from somewhere or should I just create them on each map for use every time I make a mission on that map?

#48 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 28 February 2011 - 20:18

Now you will see the power of the team's Mission Editor-

When you have a flight of aircraft that can takeoff correctly and fly a circuit and then land correctly

You can look down from the 2D map at the group of objects that make up the flight, the icons for the MCUs and the objects - even airfields and bridges - drag a box around them all to highlight them

Now you can export the whole group, you can save your selection to use as your first template :)

From the File menu- 'Save Selection to File'

At this point I would save the selection to the data folder, inside a user-created folder- I'm using \MingsGroups

In this context a template is simply a group of ME objects, where all the iconic objects making up the mission (bridges, timers, planes, triggers, helpers, commands) form the template, it's just a group*

You have the flight tucked away, now a New mission, File menu then 'Import From File' and bring in the flight. Grab the group and you can drag it to an airfield anywhere on the map, stretch out the waypoints to make the flight plan - off we go :)

In your data folder, Missions folder there may be files with a -gen prefix. Open them and find huge templates (big groups) - now you can chop out groups of objects 'AmiensGroup' and export them, ready to bring them back into a New file to get started quickly

The Mission Editor is an excellent Windows-happy application. You can use the Ctrl + c hotkeys to Copy things, the Ctrl + v hotkeys to Paste things (selections or groups into the ME). Not sure about Ctrl + z though :)

Tip: Create your basic flights in the off-map area, where you don't have to worry about hitting the scenery. I use bottom left of the ME 2D viewport, in the dark and very flat spaces. Then when everything is working: select the group, copy it, move on the 2D map to where you want the selection to be inserted for this mission, click on the map, hit Ctrl + v to paste the flight to your mouse-click's position. Tweak endlessly :)

Have you created such flight circuits that can be obtained from somewhere or should I just create them on each map for use every time I make a mission on that map?

See above but yes mate, here's my basic (and safe, well-behaved pilots) five-flight circuit template

Attached File  TemplateForRutzen.rar   3.34KB   90 downloads

Open the mission in the ME, select all the icons/objects/MCUs etc, export as a group, New mission, drop the group in there as described above

Ming

* like 'paradigm'- which just means 'model' :)

#49 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 28 February 2011 - 22:18

Thanks Ming -

This will be very helpful.

#50 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 02 March 2011 - 19:11

Ming -

I am now attempting to create my first mission - a very simple cooperate type.

I placed your download (above) into a folder in the game as you suggested and it appears there when I check it in the main RoF/data/saved folder in Windows Explorer. But when I try to import it into the mission, nothing appears to be in the folder.

I did create a five waypoint flight when following the videos and was able to get that to import into the mission. That does work and the plane does take off.

But, I would like to try yours. How do I get it to appear so I can import it into the mission?

I have a few other questions too, if you or anyone else is willing to answer.

1. The plane that I managed to import into the mission is a bomber and I want it to be a fighter? How to I change the plane type that is in the template of the flight I have imported? I can't find even where to look to determine what type of plane it presently is let alone figure out how to change its type.

2. Eventually, I am going to need to locate additional airfields on the map. I know how to do that but can they be just set anywhere without regard to whether the ground is level there? There is an object called "terrain leveler" in "Locations". Will I have to set that terrain leveler down before I place an airfield at a location? If so, will the terrain leveler work on any ground on the map or does the ground have to be somewhat level for the terrain leveler to work? How do I put a terrain leveler in place if it is needed.

Thanks for any input?

#51 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 02 March 2011 - 19:44

You need to unzip the files into your \Missions folder Rutzen, then you should see the mission from the Missions screen in your main Rise of Flight GUI (interface)

You can create a folder in your \Missions folder, something like 'RutzensMissions' - I'm using 'MingsMissions' and then you should be able to select that folder when flying Missions

Importing/exporting is different from saving/loading. You import groups under that function and you open files in the other

Another idea, stand by :)

Here's a few Groups, Import them into a New mission and examine them…

Attached File  GroupsFromMing.rar   5.03KB   67 downloads

Unzip the groups into your Missions folder, open the Mission Editor, start a New mission, Import one or more

How to I change the plane type

Click on the aircraft icon to select it, a Properties window may open up somewhere onscreen, look at the object's (the aircraft's) Properties by right-clicking or selecting Advanced Properties. Something like that look there's football on :)

I can't find even where to look to determine what type of plane it presently is let alone

Ah- look then for my posts last year (when we first got it) on how-to get started, and there's lots of info around from other people, video tutorials, Vanderstok

OR

You could have read the thread I posted above, skimming :)

If you intend to move an object via waypoints you'll need to make the object active, to link it.

The button marked Create Linked Entity when clicked now allows you control of the object

Select the plane by clicking on it, look for its Properties by right-clicking and Properties: or from the Plane Properties icon at top

Give your plane a name, Player or Rickenbacker or something else so you'll know which plane you're commanding

Click on Create Linked Entity if you wish to control this object
Ming

#52 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:21

What a bummer.

I spent numerous days struggling to figure out how to make a multiplayer mission and when I got to the very end, I ran into a problem I can't solve and can't find accurate info about. If I can't solve this, I can't make a usual multiplayer coop mission.

In the mission brief area at the beginning of a mission, I can't get the online mission map to display the course lines for the two sides so they are viewable just to the players for their own side.

The written mission builder manual doesn't seem to up to date about how it works as what it describes doesn't look like what appears in the translator icons section. Still, it looks simple enough to make work.

What I would like it to do is just show the course line for each type flight of aircraft after that aircraft is selected to fly. What I get now is all the course lines appearing for all the flights no matter which aircraft is selected. If I use that, all the players will know the flight course for all the opposing planes.

Others seem to be able to do this so it must be possible. Is there some instructions somewhere explaining current way to do this.

#53 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:48

What I would like it to do is just show the course line for each type flight of aircraft after that aircraft is selected to fly

You mean the waypoints? You want multiplayer pilots to NOT see the enemy's waypoints on the ingame map?

That sounds reasonable, maybe it's a server-side setting, but someone will know. Perhaps ask at SimHQ if nobody knows here

Did you select the correct Mission Type?

Ming

#54 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:08

Yes, that's correct.

I don't want the opposing side to know the wayoint (course) of the other side. I think that is how it is usually done as it would not have a lot of realism to allow them to see it.

I think when I play in multiplayer and select an aircraft and look at the map, I see only one course line - mine. I do not see the course even for the other friendly planes in a flight going elsewhere.

If one right clicks on the Translator Icon of mission map icons on advanced settings, he can set which side the plane is on, presumably for the purpose of disallowing the other side from seeing the setting. Either that is an incorrect presumption or it doesn't work that way.

But, there are no instructions elsewhere that I can find.

#55 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 06 March 2011 - 13:48

Try asking for help over here?

http://simhq.com/for...n_Building.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/f … lding.html

Ming

#56 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 06 March 2011 - 23:05

You use Icons to show the flight path right?

With "Advanced properties" you can set the side(s) for who the Icon will show. So you can use "Central", "French" or both. If you select "Neutral" then player that have joined the game, but have not yet chosen a side can see the Icon as well. So if you only want to show a flight path to the French side, make sure "Neutral" is not ticked!

A weird feature (bug?) in MP is that when you log in, you see the game map and you can only see the "neutral" Icons. If you then pick an airfield, say Central, you can still not see all Central Icons. However, if you then go into the hanger screen and get back into the Game Map, then they suddenly show themselves….

#57 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 March 2011 - 00:40

Thanks Vander.

#58 DMJY

DMJY

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:36

Civilization 2- this is another addicting Cheap Maplestory Mesos because of its time range. The best thing about this Buy RS Gold is that you will have to build your own world. You will start as a tribe; become a space craft builder and so on. This is the type of Runescape Gold that you should monitor every hour and wait for its development. Every game progress is an excitement especially if you reach the civilization. Another interesting part of this that makes very addicting is that you have to build alliances, building weaponry, fending off barbaric Germanic tribes; all of these things is your target in order to build an excellent RS Gold civilization in your world.

#59 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 23 March 2011 - 17:11

I am new to RoF and am posting this mission building question here because I can't find a mission building forum area anywhere to post in.

So, that becomes my first question. Where is a good place to poise mission building questions?

My second question involves ending a mission in multiplayer coop missions. I assume that involves using the end mission translator somehow but I can't figure out how to do it.

What I what to do is have a way for the host to be able hit a key on his keyboard to end the mission as opposed to needing to wait for all players to hit finish mission. I have looked at the mission builder guide extensively and watched the videos but can't find anything helpful.

Is there a way to do this?

#60 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 March 2011 - 17:28

Hi Rutzen, welcome to Rof editing!

You can just start a new thread in the 3rd party sub forum under missions or something like that. It may be useful to others as well.

About ending a coop mission: As you know all players have to hit "finish" and there is no shortcut for the host, except to go back to main menu!
What some of us do in TDM missions is to place a truck somewhere and if you destroy the truck it will trigger the END mission MCU, but in coop this is probably not useful as the host might not even be flying anymore!

#61 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 23 March 2011 - 18:29

Here's a basic circuit building mission that may help you and/or others Rutzen, and Vander can help you with anything he is da mission-building man

Basic Circuit: setup

Ming

#62 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 23 March 2011 - 20:15

Thanks, but I have got airplane circuits down pretty well now.

Trouble is there are several areas that I can't figure out that the mission builder guide isn't clear on or just doesn't cover. Figuring it out on my own can take several hours before inspiration strikes, if it strikes at all.

My question about how to end a mission in multiplayer coops without having to go out of the server and lose the stats so the players can't see them is one of them.

But, I haven't been able to get the primary and secondary target operation figured out nor what substrate and terrain leveler are (let along how they work).

I put a question on SimHQ's RoF mission builder forum and didn't get a single response.

I am on my fifth coop mission and seem to learn something new with each one I build.

Rutzen

#63 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:12

Perhaps you just missed my last post on the previous page about mission ending (but I don't have a good solution unortenately).

-substrate and terrain leveler I think are used for generating missions or for map creation, but afaik they are of no use in coop/dogfight missions.

-primary and secondary objectives are just to assign points to certain goals. If the primary mission for a side is victory and it has been met then that side will win when the mission ends.
If you click on the "Results" tab in the debriefing screen you can see which objectives have been achieved, so the place and description of the Icon also matters.

#64 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:11

Thanks for the welcome. I did miss your post on the previous page.

Your information was helpful.

I was hoping a trigger for ending the mission in coop would have been the host hitting a key or two. There are legitimate reasons for doing so before landing, such as the players agreeing to end the mission because flying home will take too long. If that is possible, perhaps it could be included in a patch down the road.

In the meantime, I will see what can do with understanding making victory conditions.

I am not new to mission building. I created about 450 multiplayer coop missions over the years for IL-2. Some friends asked if I could make some here.

This game has a lot going for it but the mission builder can be difficult to learn. Some things are and harder to fathom but but there are some better features than IL-2 too.

Your videos were a big help.

#65 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 25 March 2011 - 20:22

Well, I surrender.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a mission end in multiplayer coop but am out of ideas. The best I could do was using a timer between mission begin and mission end, I was able to make the mission stop. I tried to use a second timer with subtitles to announce the mission was going to stop in one minute, which worked to stop the mission, but I couldn't get the subtitle to appear.

I had high hopes I could get use check zones to set at the landing position of AI planes so when the first one flew through it the mission would stop but apparently couldn't figure it out. I couldn't get anywhere with making mission obectives work either.

The biggest problem with most of these features is the panel that appears for them in the game is not what is shown and described in the mission builder guide. I have to guess at how the updated procedure works for that function and for these items, I was unsuccessful.

Isn't there an up to date explanation of how these things work somewhere?

#66 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 March 2011 - 00:05

Have you studied some sample missions? They are usually very helpful.
I have also been making missions for IL2 and you have to "rewire" your brain a bit before you are comfortable with the rof editor. :)

AI triggering an event to stop a mission is very doable. Timers are also often used to keep a mission from going on forever.

#67 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 26 March 2011 - 19:05

I have looked around and don't know where to find sample missions. Where are they found?

#68 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 March 2011 - 20:56

Here are a coupe. Try the latest ones first.

http://sites.google....sions/Resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sites.google....sions/Resources

If there is no .mission file in the zip just open the .msbin file. Make sure to select *.* as file type in the dialog box.

#69 jannypan

jannypan

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:38

Clearly explained 1-3, good commentary and explanations.World of Warcraft Items
RS Gold
Tera Items

#70 HRD

HRD

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:33

Of course I didn't back anything up and I have updated the latest version. All works well but I seem to have lost all my missions files -I guess it's start over again?
I looked in the obvious places but no luck …

#71 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:47

No, the missions should not have been deleted. They are either in \data\missions or in \data\multiplayer\dogfight\ or \data\multiplayer\coop

#72 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 25 June 2011 - 19:22

Asked this question in a other topic, and got no responses, so maybe this it a better thread to use.

Lots of new stuff in ME. New Triggers, script files. Is an updated mission editor in the foresable future? And if not, any suggestions on where we might go to get some insight as to how to use all the new features?

Old Fokkers Squad

#73 King_Richard

King_Richard

Posted 25 June 2011 - 20:55

Complex Trigger instructions A topic started today about a few things,

MCUs a thread I made to ask everyone specific questions pertaining to anything about triggers or MCU's. Just leave a question, and it'll take some time, but it usually gets answered within a few days. I really don't think that there's many of us who play around in the mission editor, and all of these new features are going to take some time for everyone to play with and figure out. I think it's up to us to figure it all out honestly.

Mission Editor: Groups/Templates and this is a thread I started for everyone to share groups or templates that they use alot. Feel free to add any and I'll update the first or second post with it. I also just put up a AAA pack that makes use of the checkzones (complex trigger) which may be worth checking out to see how it works.

#74 sc1949

sc1949

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:01

Can you save those YouTube files to Hard drive for later viewing, have slow connection, and if so, How please.

Have never used YouTube previously. Thanks for help.

#75 CrazySchmidt

CrazySchmidt

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:21

Brilliant, just getting ready to start some mission building with RoF and this is a fantastic lead in.

Worth is weight in gold.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)

#76 Rutzen

Rutzen

Posted 15 September 2011 - 23:49

I can get trucks to run in a convoy but I can't do much with trains. They always end up sideways or crumpled on the tracks.

Could you do a step by step video for them?

#77 Missionbug

Missionbug

Posted 29 December 2011 - 23:29

Hello SYN_Vander, thank you very much for posting those tutorials, it took some head scratching and a lot of cursing but I finally managed to set up a basic mission. :D

Around the lake, Autumn, early morning.

Soon after take off.

Around we go.

Return to base.

Wow, is this mission editor complicated, how anyone manages to build a campaign is mind blowing. More beer me thinks before I go any further. ;)

The mission worked from start to finish with AI, I could just sit back and watch. :lol:

Wishing you all the very best, hope you have a great New Year, Pete. :)

#78 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2011 - 00:04

Good job, Pete!

#79 santiagojamesae

santiagojamesae

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:33

Vander,
I had not realised this Topic was yours,
i have been following your excelent video tutorials but have come up against a wall whilst finishing video number six,i have posted a new topic in "MISSION MAKING AND SERVERS"which describes my problem,it is titled "problems with ME",would it be possible for you to have a quick look at it?I am sure i followed your instruccions correctly.

Many,Many Thanks.

#80 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13

Vander,
I have diligently followed your tut's and managed to replicate the mission. I applaud not only your work but the work of anyone that has the patience and skill to put all these things together, the amount of things you have to put just to make one part happen, wow.
Anyway, this brings me to my question.
I know you said that 'we' should have enough knowledge to make the entente planes land after they have completed their attack on the 2 seater, but as I see it they need waypoints to tie the land command, timer and mission force command to. They took of as a result of a check zone and have no waypoints. I sound a bit like No5 here but I need more input:)
If you have time can you explain to me how to get them to land after they complete their assigned task.
Cheers mate, and again, thanks.
Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users