- - - - -

Flanders terrain

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:45

I'd like to give this piece of "missing" terrain a go. I have experience in building terrain for IL2, were SMRT data is also used. Besides that, I have experience in building objects in 3dmax (racetracks and cars in the past), so some new buildings should not pose a challenge :). Still, any help would be appreciated as a small team can do things so much faster.

Han or others, how do we get hold of your tools and the knowledge to use them?

#2 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:07

S! Venderstok

Cool I look forward to the finished product.

RAF_Smiladon

#3 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:26

Good luck Vanderstok! I'm looking forward to see it in game!
Can you please move the edges a little further South so we can fly historical 56 sqn missions rom Estrée Blanche to the Ypres salient?

#4 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:08

Can you please move the edges a little further South so we can fly historical 56 sqn missions rom Estrée Blanche to the Ypres salient?

Do you realise how much extra work that involves? We'd all have to wait an extra year ;) .
(good idea though).
s!

#5 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:28

Do you realise how much extra work that involves? We'd all have to wait an extra year ;) .
(good idea though).
s!

I don't think so: he only needs to move the southern edge down by 1cm and he can save it by moving the northern edge down too, say, to Ostende. No use for the northern parts but Estrée Blanche played an important role in these battles.

#6 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:35

You mean kind of put Brugge on the top right corner of the map but keep the same scale, or simply put Buugge in the top of the map but dropping it straight down, again same scale?

#7 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:48

I haven't decided on the exact borders yet, so yes, this may very well be possible. I do want to keep the map limited in size though, as I know from experience how much work is involved :)

Perhaps we could make a list of historical missions that took place in this region, so I know what airfields etc to include.
I already know one; Voss's last flight!

#8 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:32

Vanderstok Why not do the leap of faith and go for the cream , then i can actually have a map the Zeppelins can fly actual historical missions

And

The BOMBER Planes of course :)

I would help for sure , it would be a good learning curve for Lucas aswell, im sure.

English Channel Map :)

Plus it also means the SHIPPING WARS can be played out as missions and well it would be a seriously good map for many people here within Rise of Flight.

You would be spending hours and days ,weeks ,months making a map which we already have half of it in the original map provided with the disc , the top left of the map is only 2km away from Dunkerque :)

Overlap is ok ,so could i make a suggestion , how about a overlap thats worthwhile and allows so much more.

Shipping routes and zeppelin raids , and when bombers are released ,bombing raids as well , and Rise of Flight have not mentioned Aircraft Carriers :)

That would make the mouth water :)

#9 catchov

catchov

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:49

I'm dribbling again at just the thought :oops:

#10 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 May 2010 - 16:10

Great idea, but maybe better as a next step? I'd like to see first how complex terrain modeling in RoF is. Then there is the issue most people have with big maps online.
Another thing that slightly worries me: How long did a round trip mission last in a Zeppelin? :)

By the way: where did the raids from carriers on Zeppelin hangars took place?

#11 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 May 2010 - 23:09

Hey!
That map takes in my house. I can keep my SE5a in the garage :D .

#12 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 22 May 2010 - 23:27

Wow…impressive work to come…good luck with that Vanderstock!

#13 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:13

Great idea, but maybe better as a next step? I'd like to see first how complex terrain modeling in RoF is. Then there is the issue most people have with big maps online.
Another thing that slightly worries me: How long did a round trip mission last in a Zeppelin? :)

By the way: where did the raids from carriers on Zeppelin hangars took place?

Good choice Vanderstock. Many people seem to shoot themselves in the foot by taking on massive projects as their first effort. I recall there was a raid on Cuxhaven by Tabloids in the early stages of the war. Not sure when exactly. Come to think of it, I'm not quite sure where Cuxhaven is. :geek:

#14 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:04

Did a quick check. Cuxhaven and other Zeppelin bases were in the North of Germany. Although I love zeppelins, I don't think they can be used on this map. I do read there were some attacks on Paris, from Metz? That can be done in our current map, as long as someone is willing to model Paris ! :)

#15 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:10

That can be done in our current map, as long as someone is willing to model Paris !

Ohhhh…great idea…passing through the "arc de triomphe" and land on the "champs elysées" avenue :P :D

#16 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:30

What about this one?

Suitable for English, French, Belgian and Germans Scenarios.

Size: 150 km lenght, 100km Wide.

Estrée Blanche and most of English airfields in the Somme are included.
Also Belgian airfields and German ones (Marine Jagdstaffeln, so on…)

South line cuts Phalempin.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#17 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:01

If you get in trouble over Flanders you can dodge to the Netherlands to make a safe landing, only to be interned for the rest of the war and supplying them with another free plane :D

Love this, with or without Zeeland: good luck!

#18 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:23

Jj, yes, that's what I had in mind. I would like to include the Marine Jastas as well.

Jorri, I think there's a good chance a small part of the Netherlands will be on the map ;)

#19 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:37

Ooh! landing on a beach for a little paddle and a picnic. Pip-pip!

#20 Buster0083

Buster0083

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:20

Any news on this guys?

#21 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:08

In the SimHQ article Jason said that the SDK is at a crossroads.. I'll wait until this is sorted out before I dig any deeper. In the meantime I have some other (RoF) projects I'm working on :).

#22 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:10

Fair play Vander. Id love to see this region in the game. So whats the next project?

#23 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:17

Fair play Vander. Id love to see this region in the game. So whats the next project?

Some single missions and a campaign (not dynamic). I'm trying to make the missions more interesting by inserting some advanced scripting using proximity triggers and the behaviour MCU.

I hope to more or less replicate the skirmishes that would happen during a patrol. Planes maneuvering before they attack. Disengaging after a bounce, surprise attacks etc.
Without this, if you just put two flights against each other they will always start a dogfight, drop down to ground level eventually and don't stop until the last man is shot down…not very realistic! I think the SP mode has more potential then what we see now.

#24 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:15

Some single missions and a campaign (not dynamic). I'm trying to make the missions more interesting by inserting some advanced scripting using proximity triggers and the behaviour MCU.

I hope to more or less replicate the skirmishes that would happen during a patrol. Planes maneuvering before they attack. Disengaging after a bounce, surprise attacks etc.
Without this, if you just put two flights against each other they will always start a dogfight, drop down to ground level eventually and don't stop until the last man is shot down…not very realistic! I think the SP mode has more potential then what we see now.

Sounds great - look forward to it.

#25 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:35

Yep sounds cool. Looking forward to it vander.

#26 veltjens

veltjens

Posted 17 August 2010 - 13:40

GREATLY appreciate your efforts, Vanderstok!

It would be excellent to have more "realism" in the way missions unfold.

S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users