Photo
- - - - -

Gallipoli Map (WIP)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#81 VonGerlach

VonGerlach

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:47

Checking in to see if there is any new news :)

Director and Lead

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

#82 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 October 2011 - 19:16

been away in England ( Funerals ) plus road n rail vectoring isnt released i dont think

#83 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:24

you propably know them allready, but i thought i´ll throw in some nice links to articles regarding the dardanelles and expressin my interest ;)

Peter hart:
http://archive.iwm.o...ipoliAirWar.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://archive.iwm.o...k/upload/packag … AirWar.pdf

Brad King
http://archive.iwm.o...Dardanelles.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://archive.iwm.o...k/upload/packag … nelles.pdf

turkish side
http://www.turkeyswa...ation/airop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turkeyswa...ation/airop.htm
http://www.turkeyswa...rtgallipoli.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turkeyswa...m/aviation/aire … lipoli.htm

#84 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:07

yepp, lets look forward. an other interested map-area would be palestine

Attached File  PalestineAndTransjordan_02.png   88.77KB   547 downloads

the Fliegerabteilungen 300 „Pascha“, 301 und 302 (opened at Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung Breslau-Brieg), 303 (FEA Altenburg), 304 b (FEA 1 b Oberschleißheim) and 305 (FEA Breslau), at 1918 Jagdstaffel 55 (later known as Jagdstaffel 1 F) got a lot of interested planes, most of them albatros dva with twin radiators on the top wing

Attached File  tropical.jpg   36.04KB   546 downloads

Attached File  5359.jpg   57.55KB   546 downloads

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#85 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 17 July 2012 - 21:16

Bonzer job Wolfpac

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#86 catchov

catchov

Posted 18 July 2012 - 00:54

an other interested map-area would be palestine

:D

But those twin radiator jobs were no match for the AFC's Brisfits! :)

#87 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:20

the above picture is a test i made for an Oceanic Wing Map, Mainly to see what the horizon would look like over water :)
The picture above is the very bottom south west corner of the map , i placed a SE5a on the texture that is OFF MAP and a boat INSIDE the map , just so the picture makes sense.

Yes the put an island in the middle of the map infact we put 2 large islands and one smaller one in between, just so we coud take off and muck around on the map.

But by making this map i found a problem we did not like but it did stop me making a map that has water on the edges of the map = Gallipoli

Some here in the forums will remember the texture that we had a year or so aga ,some called it striplands were the map finished the striplands continued and it did not look nice and mission editor people made missions in the centre of the map so no one saw the textured end of our world of RoF

Then we sorted out the texture thanks to O_Leigh from oceanicwing.com and the edges of the map was slightly easier on the eyes its the texture we have present day when you fly to the edge of the map.

But

Yes the But always pops up :)

when water reached the edge of the map it stops rendering water and makes a sort of GRASS FRAME like and oil painting frame , this grass texture continues unlimited into the distant horizon.

So we tried to make new texture to accomodate the water reaching the edges of the map, but that conflicted with the land parts of the map that reach the edges of the map.

A catch 22

Then ROF released a blog about NEW WATER with waves :) and new textures and different styles of water , the detail is ten fold better than what is present today.

We wait and see how this new water will be used and how it will react when it reachs the edges of the map.
Till then we moved away from coastal map making and learning and moved inland towards Desert map with no water on the edges of the map :)
We retextured the grass frame to a desert texture and all looks good.

Its all a learning curve

Regards
Tony

#88 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:31

how do you create land. do you use satellite height data?

best regards

#89 SC-Sp00k

SC-Sp00k

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47

Excellent idea for a map. Cant wait to get a chance to fly it. Kudos for your efforts.

#90 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55

do you use satellite height data yes Nasa data is freely available but it has missing patch or holes within the data and selecting corrected data is important to get right.
I did a experiement once on the 2nd highest mountain in the world = K2 mountain , if you download from nasa website you will have a map that does not have the mountain present , but if you goto a different height data website the mountain will be present in all its glory , this is because the missing data holes have been filled in not by a fix program but by survey detail measurement equipment or gps data and/or by using different data files from different satelite data , a combination fix instead of an average maths calculation sum.

One extra find since the below link is that Hgt files can be OPENED within 3d max studios 8 & 9 and Saved again after editing the file , so you can manually ADD or mend missing detail or improve the quality of the terrian to a level that is nice on the eye.
Other option is to use Condor computition flight sim Editor as this allows the htg file to be edited to 10m squares with a height value on all 4 corners of the grid square ,saving a trn files like what we see in a MASK file format ,but can be manually edited back to hgt using 3dmax again as final save

SRTM data Comparison
Above link says it better

SC-Sp00k , sorry i dont think oceanic wing would release a map without full approval from 777 , its a group of people with combined skills and learning curve of many many hours of trial and lots of errors , some so bad a full install was the only fix lol , plus we still can not use the SDK to export max 8 files to ROF mgm with col file ,so even though we can make desert landscape terrain ,the 3d model buildings or bushes / shrubs , trees on the map, can not be added at present , we can only use re-texturing tricks with the objects we have presently which is a shame.
A Fur tree looks wrong in a desert :)
A simple sand bag wall can not be added to rof , because the instruction or example is needed.

#91 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 18 July 2012 - 13:23

O_WolfPac,
There's a line in textures.ini
bounds_water=false
If you set it to "true" the water will be rendered outside the map bounds. However when I tried it I've got an odd effect of grass growing right out of the water.
Anyway it won't solve the problem you mentioned when map edges should have water and land in different areas. I have no idea if current version of ROF supports this, but I'm sure devs will have to solve this problem for Channel map because it has both land and water edges.

#92 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 19 July 2012 - 20:13

grass you only see close up so thats excellent, will give it a try tonight

Thank you :)

#93 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:10

I can only hope we´ll one day take to skies there..

#94 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:39

Ok after a night of searching for Hms Ark royal drawings it does not exist , i did find Hms furious drawings which was one of the fist flat deck carriers

Nice thing is by doing the searches i found 4 really detailed maps of Gallipoli hahahaha

So im happy with the time spent searching :D

maybe this one coul help a little bit ?

Attached File  ark_royal_1914_273.jpg   81.97KB   596 downloads

by the way. What kind of program you use to create mapterrain ?

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#95 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 05 August 2012 - 20:29

Hello Tutschek

You only need Netpaint or photoshop or some other editor of pixels ive never tried doing a map with just windows paint but in theory its possible but i can not remember if it has layers.

other options is to use 3d max studios and convert a mesh to terrain format , but you can not have overhands or tunnels

#96 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 05 August 2012 - 21:05

Sounds like a great project! Thanks for your work. :S!:

#97 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 06 August 2012 - 23:21

Hello Tutschek

You only need Netpaint or photoshop or some other editor of pixels ive never tried doing a map with just windows paint but in theory its possible but i can not remember if it has layers.
MS Paint? Layers??? It must be a while for you… :lol:

I think the best shareware image manipulation program available with layers is GIMP. There is even a GUI mod that makes it look more like Photoshop. I prefer PS, but my CS2 is quite old now but still gets the job done.

Not being a snob here, but if you seriously want a good result and minimize frustration, then you really need to use something with layers. There is no way around it for skins or terrain tiles, or….

#98 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:04

Bandy :) very true

Your siggy picture or lift /turbalance/drag it what photoshop or a program

If its a program can you provide the name please.
I have a aerofoil section i created a long time ago for a experimental RC glider (f3f racer) and after testing the glider in flight i got mixed results that contradicts what i expected ,,

Would be nice to see the lift drag etc to work out a valid closure.

#99 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:35

Hi Wolfpac have you tried this aerofoil apps

http://www.petervis....l/aerofoil.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petervis....interests/aerod … ofoil.html

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#100 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 09 August 2012 - 20:37

Sorry Proccy i have java installed but i just do not see the aerofoil app on the link

But thank you :)

#101 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 09 August 2012 - 21:58

Hi Wolfpac I think you need to download it first Try this link

http://www.grc.nasa....lane/foil2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.grc.nasa....lane/foil2.html

#102 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 12 August 2012 - 13:22

Thanks Proccy got it working :)

#103 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 15 August 2012 - 23:06

Sadly, because the Channell Map is being prepared, some limitations were added to the RoF.
As I built my custom map year ago, I can not use it in Mods On, because it is "not registered" within the RoF maps. So, when a friend of mine set up a server with our map in a mods on mode, the "buy it" icon appeared and I was not able to enter a sever because I got a message to "purchase a map" LOL
So, I can only look what I have done in the Mission Editior… Check yours, Tony.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#104 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:41

I've just checked.
You are right - completely new map just tells that it has to be bought, and an existing map with modded height map starts loading but then tells that it is not available on my account.
The only way to see them now is the Mission Editor.

This is understandable - they have to protect the Channel map, but well… I'm really not sure how new user made maps can be created now.

#105 =FB=VikS

=FB=VikS
  • Developer

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:53

I'm really not sure how new user made maps can be created now.

You just need to create something first - its not a big deal to add it to be able to use in ROF.
Before its aint rdy for use - you can check it in Mission Editor.

PS: textures and other external things (roads, landtypes etc) can be changed w/o any approval ingame.
So all-in all, if you have anything to check ingame - contact me via PM/e-mail.

#106 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:27

Thank you Viks :)

In the future i will contact you.
I am still making desert buildings and this is taking time ,but slow forward is one step forward

#107 storeroomsekar

storeroomsekar

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:41

JoeCrow i agree with you………..

#108 FliegerEins

FliegerEins

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:51

Can't wait for this release either! Now a map for Japanese Allied forces vs. Imperial German Pacific colonies. Or one for the Salonika front?

#109 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:33

Better check the post dates, I think this one is stalled.

Wolfpac, let me know if I can help with a few simple static objects, or even just skinning buildings and such…

#110 No48_Snoopy

No48_Snoopy

Posted 09 April 2015 - 14:49

This is a fantastic idea and can be branched into many other ideas for maps. I'm not sure of any air operations at Gallipoli but I am aware of the very successful combined-arms operation that involved British and ANZAC aircraft at the Battle of Megiddo in 1918 under General Edmund Allenby where the Turkish 7th Army was eviscerated by British scouts. That'd be an awesome map I think. Bristols were the primary component of the air arm I believe. 

#111 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 15:26

IMHO, and because I've just started to learn about this part of the war, Salonique/Macedonia would be an excellent addition to the game, first you have see+mountains in one map, which is nice, and secondly you have already two years of war with the planeset we have right now (3, if a few early two seaters arrives), and this for different nations, Germany/Bulgaria, France, British Empire, and even Serbia and Greece.

Carte_Orient.jpg

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#112 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 09 April 2015 - 17:25

Yes, I agree

#113 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 09 April 2015 - 17:52

IMHO, and because I've just started to learn about this part of the war, Salonique/Macedonia would be an excellent addition to the game, first you have see+mountains in one map, which is nice, and secondly you have already two years of war with the planeset we have right now (3, if a few early two seaters arrives), and this for different nations, Germany/Bulgaria, France, British Empire, and even Serbia and Greece.

Carte_Orient.jpg

I would love to see thise map in rof. :icon_e_biggrin:

#114 MarkoniSRB

MarkoniSRB

Posted 10 April 2015 - 20:41

Serbian air force was one of the first in the world to use airplanes in war.It was during the Balkan wars 1912-1913.

On the Macedonian front French air force created two Serbo-French squadrons.So until 1918 Serbian air force was a part of French air force.

During first half of 1918 Serbian air force was reestablished as independent.

So if you use time period of 1916-1918 you can put Serbo-French squadrons.And after july 1918 you can put Serbian squadrons.

18848_51031360_avioni%20srpskih%20eskadr

#115 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:08

Untill that we will wait to see the first map being released, so much plans so much attempts, to the guys of the all those maps we have seen here passing by here in this forum, why not join together and make one map.  Lets begin with a simple dessert map.

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#116 mrmaverick

mrmaverick

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:21

Gday, just wondering if this Gallipoli map is still being worked on?

ANZAC 100 year anaversery tomorow.

#117 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:55

Carte_Orient.jpg

+ 1

"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#118 GenMarkof007

GenMarkof007

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:15

Hi O_WolfPac,

Was just wondering if this map is still in WIP, or stopped?

I wouldn't mind to keep this map making onboard to see it go out to the ROF community.

If you're ok seeing it move on, let me know, I'm not that bad with PS.

Just need to see how everything works, but happy to make it move on.

Cheers.

Gen ;)

you can PM me, for any questions on this request...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users