Photo
- - - - -

Gallipoli Map (WIP)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:37

Ok ive changed my nickname to WolfPac for login to ROF forums and in top left of forum pages it says nickname WolfPac ,,,but when i post it still says RAF_Wolf lol

what am i missing here hehehe :lol: :roll:

#42 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 June 2010 - 23:37

Ha it fixed itself lol Name changed while i was asleep hehehehe

Thank you if it was a admin :)

Hope it does not cause any issues , these things happen , may start a squadron for Rise of Flight in the near future S!

#43 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 June 2010 - 00:16

Let me ask the obnoxious question: When can we expect this map? :mrgreen:

#44 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:08

realistically after making alot of map/scennery in the past i would say approx 6 months - 12 months AFTER the map tools are released.

Reason for this is mainly my pride :) , no point making a half baked map , may as well make it accurate and solid quality , as a comparison look at google earth aerial shots of the river and road structure around paris and compare with the bottom left of the original rise of flight map , thats the quality i want before i would even consider release , plus i am not a great believer in BETA WIP maps that is pointless any BETA is pointless to be honest :)
So a beta map will not be released but a completly finished map is the end result.
I would get my friends and other beta mates to test totally so its released finished with zero mistakes , even on the original rof map the beta testers did not check the map properly if they had the lakes that go uphill and trenches with swirls and graphical errors would not have been mistakes left in the release.

Basically it only gets released when its done complete :) how ever long that takes.

Hope that helps :)

#45 zflyer

zflyer

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:13

Question 2:

Since the Gallipoli Campaign lasted from April to December 1915, I assume we will we be restricted (for historical reasons) to a 1915-only plane-set on the map? (1915-era scouts and two-seaters)

#46 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:38

nice question , and a good answer would be to say Mapmaker make the map but a MISSION MAKER is a unique person they build things and install imagination and illussion into a mission thats played out

So what the mission maker creates i can imagine , but will look forward to watching and flying :D

most if not all ,of the planes in Gallipoli are not released but who here has seen a rise of flight announcement saying they are not planned for the future ,all businesses plan a 5 year plan and also 1-2 year plans and till that day when the plane set is accurate and correct it would still be in the hands of the mission makers to create a even stand off in the skies of Gallipolli ,which they can do with flare and grace as we see already in other maps.

Personally i look forward to the day a german plane drops a bomb , im sure thats coming soon in our future with planes we all wish to see.

Gallipoli ended 9 January 1916 alot of people fall for that mistake but its fine :)
Catches loads out on pub quiz :D

http://en.wikipedia....lipoli_Campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....lipoli_Campaign

#47 catchov

catchov

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:18

Gallipoli ended 9 January 1916 alot of people fall for that mistake but its fine :)
Catches loads out on pub quiz :D

Just enough time to get back to the Old Dart, sample the tarts, regroup, mobilise to the Western Front and join in the fray in the Battle of the Somme July 1 1916. Some say it was over the top ;)

#48 mungo1972

mungo1972

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:56

Hi Wolfpac,
Im loving it already , cant wait to see it on the game . Nice work

Regards
Mungo

#49 crazyeddie

crazyeddie

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:54

You are going to have a tough time modelling a conventional type carrier for Gallipoli, the first Ark Royal commissioned in Dec 1914 and in her original form looked more like a sea plane tender of that era. She never had a conventional flight deck as we see them now.

A better option for a WW1 sim would be HMS Furious in her 2nd or 3rd phase where they extended the flight deck over the back end, up to then she was like a big cruiser with a strange looking deck forward only. The extension simply added a bit of flight deck aft, you still had the massive superstructure in the middle, so still not a conventional carrier as we know them now. That work was not completed until 1918 and she did not look like a true carrier until a further conversion in the early 1930's. Normal flight deck with a flying off deck slightly lower down and forward of the landing deck.

True carrier were almost non existent in WW1, HMS Argus launched in 1918 was closest with a conventional flying off and landing on deck, but a very short deck.

So, what to do. Well I would extend the realms of imagination and go for HMS Furious as she was in her 3rd phase with a landing deck on top and that funny short flying off deck up forward, at least she looks like a carrier.

Great idea though, imagine trying to land these old crates on one of those beasts.

#50 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 28 July 2010 - 14:19

Hanriot HD2 lookalike or are we talking about Tabloid Sops :P

I think this is the airfield on the southwest island the Ark Royal carrier docked to unload the planes it was carrying , may be wrong but it sure is a good photo, :)

Cant even remember where i downloaded it from but is that a plane in a hanger?

The Bay just south of Poyraz Limani ,Bozcaada i think was an airfield

#51 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 14:26

You are going to have a tough time modelling a conventional type carrier for Gallipoli, the first Ark Royal commissioned in Dec 1914 and in her original form looked more like a sea plane tender of that era. She never had a conventional flight deck as we see them now.

A better option for a WW1 sim would be HMS Furious in her 2nd or 3rd phase where they extended the flight deck over the back end, up to then she was like a big cruiser with a strange looking deck forward only. The extension simply added a bit of flight deck aft, you still had the massive superstructure in the middle, so still not a conventional carrier as we know them now. That work was not completed until 1918 and she did not look like a true carrier until a further conversion in the early 1930's. Normal flight deck with a flying off deck slightly lower down and forward of the landing deck.

True carrier were almost non existent in WW1, HMS Argus launched in 1918 was closest with a conventional flying off and landing on deck, but a very short deck.

So, what to do. Well I would extend the realms of imagination and go for HMS Furious as she was in her 3rd phase with a landing deck on top and that funny short flying off deck up forward, at least she looks like a carrier.

Great idea though, imagine trying to land these old crates on one of those beasts.

My understanding is that the first aircraft carriers were battleships & cruisers.

:geek:

#52 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:33

Yes :) with HUGE GUNS !

and a crane !

Lower the seaplane into the water on the calm side of the ship and take off and land and taxi to ship to up load
later they built wooden and Metal floor panels ontop of the GUN barrels and the plane had shall we say a Faster than standing still relative speaking short take-off runway but the polot har to land on LAND as no place to land on ship unless you trusted the cranemans hook :P

These first short take-offs were helped by the two guns under the runway could point in to the WIND
i dont think the guns fired during takeoff procedures :D before anyone posts it :)

#53 J99Hasso

J99Hasso

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:45

Baron VonHelton? :shock:
nice a veteran of the scene RB3D welcome here. Unforgotten have the "Revege Jasta III" you will find enjoyment here, and with your knowledge of great help:P

#54 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:47

Baron VonHelton? :shock:
nice a veteran of the scene RB3D welcome here. Unforgotten have the "Revege Jasta III" you will find enjoyment here, and with your knowledge of great help:P

Thanks! I hope to contribute somewhat!

S!

8-)

#55 J99Hasso

J99Hasso

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:49

Definitely
Big Salute from germany

#56 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:57

Definitely
Big Salute from germany

Soon, my friend….Very soon.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#57 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 28 July 2010 - 16:15

WHISTLES !

Nice Wooden prop !

#58 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 22:46

WHISTLES !

Nice Wooden prop !

Thanks! I think……

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#59 Dietz

Dietz

Posted 03 August 2010 - 18:51

Aces with me!

#60 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 03 August 2010 - 23:29

Aces with me!

:twisted:

#61 Laser

Laser

Posted 03 August 2010 - 23:33

Or … :)

#62 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 04 August 2010 - 00:02

Went and saw Iron Maiden play here in NZ last year one of the best concerts i have been too.

Rock on Eddie

#63 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 28 August 2010 - 15:57

OK, I'll say it, I find this a strange map choice for a flight sim.

So this is 1915, basically so there was no air war. No aircraft capable of attacking another took part in the Gallipoli action….

We can't have historical missions on this map unless you include flying around pretending to recon an empty map, there's not much going on on the ground in ROF. We don't have the few aircraft that'd be suitable for the map and probably never will have.

If you want to fly over it in later aircraft asa change of scenery then fine, but currently ROF is missing so much stuff.

#64 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 28 August 2010 - 16:32

If it's true what Mogster says (no idea) perhaps a map of russia or italy would be more useful?

#65 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 28 August 2010 - 16:34

Or even South East England - Reading - Dover to allow us to do home defence!!

You're right - important campaign but very little for a ROF mission builder to work with.

#66 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 28 August 2010 - 16:42

The Tabloids "may" have had forward firing Lewis guns fitted but I can't find a photo of a Tabloid with that configuration.

The 1915 Arc Royal wasn't a true carrier, wheeled aircraft couldn't land on it, it was more of a sea plane carrier, a cargo ship with a crane…

I know this is one of Wolf's babies and I certainly don't want this to appear like a personal attack, but it just seems a bit of a waste of his and the dev's time. Concentrate on the Zepp and Hanriot :)

#67 Gloria04

Gloria04

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:55

Every year growing number of Australian, New Zealand and Turkish people gather at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli on 25th April in preparation for early morning dawn service. It makes sense due to isolation and overcrowding of public transport that most people visit this area through many tour companies that arrange tours. This not only allows them to take in these commemorations but to give those who have never been to Turkey chance to see a bit of the land and the culture of the country which plays such important role in their history. Most these tours start in Istanbul and will travel to Gallipoli Peninsula.

Ephesus Tours

#68 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:32

Dardenelles (Gallipoli): Short 184, Sopwith Baby, Voisin, Morane Parasol, Caudron, Nieuport 10, Gotha WD2 seaplane, a few Eindeckers…not much AirQuake in 1915…

Southeast England would make sense for the Gothas but these yokels would try to make day bombers out of the Gothas, like they have the HP :?

Want a Theater where air power was important? Palestine 1917-18

#69 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:39

I find this a strange map choice for a flight sim

I find it an obvious choice of map for a creative Antipodean <covering all the angles in case Wolfie's a Kiwi or er, Tasmanian> :)

Commonwealth troops, bloody marvellous.

Ming

#70 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:30

Why have i not seen this thread before? It appears to have been here for a while :?

But OMG a new map in rof? IM SO HAPPY :D

#71 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 06 January 2011 - 00:38

OK, I'll say it, I find this a strange map choice for a flight sim.

So this is 1915, basically so there was no air war. No aircraft capable of attacking another took part in the Gallipoli action….

We can't have historical missions on this map unless you include flying around pretending to recon an empty map, there's not much going on on the ground in ROF. We don't have the few aircraft that'd be suitable for the map and probably never will have.

If you want to fly over it in later aircraft asa change of scenery then fine, but currently ROF is missing so much stuff.

Don't worry too much about it chaps. The thread is really just a statement of intent, of what the OP would make if proper map tools were ever released.

From page 6:

realistically after making alot of map/scennery in the past i would say approx 6 months - 12 months AFTER the map tools are released.

Reason for this is mainly my pride :) , no point making a half baked map , may as well make it accurate and solid quality , as a comparison look at google earth aerial shots of the river and road structure around paris and compare with the bottom left of the original rise of flight map , thats the quality i want before i would even consider release , plus i am not a great believer in BETA WIP maps that is pointless any BETA is pointless to be honest :)
So a beta map will not be released but a completly finished map is the end result.
I would get my friends and other beta mates to test totally so its released finished with zero mistakes , even on the original rof map the beta testers did not check the map properly if they had the lakes that go uphill and trenches with swirls and graphical errors would not have been mistakes left in the release.

Basically it only gets released when its done complete :) how ever long that takes.

Hope that helps :)

#72 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:06

Hi
While I do agree with people that there is not much scope for airpower over gallipoli, from reading the posts it seems to me that people seem to be forgetting about the sea planes. I'm not really sure about the aircraft of the period but I think that atleast one must be able to carry bombs or even something cruder, such as fletchettes into the air. Perhaps a bit more of a ground attack based campaign/map?
That said even though I'm Australian I think it would make much more sense to do an Italian theatre of operations. the alps by themselves would be quite a challenge for a pilot on a foggy day. I've been unable to find much information on the italian campaigns, perhaps partly because of the good old ANZAC legends.
Also the Palestinian theatre would be very interesting because there are a lot bedouin and other nomads around, plus its a war of movement so much more moving vehicles.
But any area would be very interesting I think especially if it means new aircraft and equipment.

#73 killimanjaro

killimanjaro

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:45

Oh, goody! Just what we've been waiting for, a map for recreations of battles fought by the Turkish Ottoman Empire. ;) Keep up the good work and it'll probably be here before we know it. CHEERS! :lol:

#74 VonGerlach

VonGerlach

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:56

Gallipoli was a disasterous action, but there was actually quite a bit of air activity and yes the HMS Ark Royal, one of the first carriers was indeed there…

The allies were more flexible than the Turks in the use of aircraft. While Turkish commanders halted air operations in case of rain or extensive clouds, Allied aircraft took-off for operations in most weather. The Allies also were more inclined to let its aircraft patrol longer distances that their adversaries, thus increasing their reconnaissance field area. In addition to these differences, the Allies were more receptive to the use of new technology, especially aerial cameras. Those factors tilted the air campaign in favour of the well prepared French and British pilots. At the beginning of the Expedition, the Allied main aircraft was the Sopwith Tabloid seaplane. The Tabloid was built to compete in the seaplane races spurring all around the British Iles on those days. The Tabloid airframe height was 10’-0” with a length of 23’-0”. The biplane wingspan covered an area of 25’-6”sq. A single Gnome Monosoupape 9 cylinder rotary engine capable of producing 100hp was the power plant. This engine gave the Tabloid a maximum speed capability of 92mph. Operational range was 315 miles while its ceiling was 15,000’. The aircraft was manned by only one individual and fully loaded weight at 1,580lbs.

Early versions of the Tabloid were unarmed, but as the type was entered service, a 0.303” Lewis machine gun was fitted. The Sopwiths were ferried to the Gallipoli area by the newest acquisition of the Royal Navy, HMS Ark Royal. The world’s first true aircraft carrier. Beside the Ark Royal, the cruisers Dories and Minerva, as well as the seaplane tenders Hector (a converted balloon tender) and Manica; operated the Tabloid in the area. Seaplane operations were still in its infancy and many accidents were reported in handling these seaplanes, most of them occurred while the plane was lowered into the sea or being retrieved. The first Tabloids, a contingent of four, were ferried to Bozcaada aboard the Ark Royal in the early days of February. After a brief period in the area, the Ark Royal headed back to the Mediterranean Sea because of the ship’s captain’s fear of a German U-boat attack.

http://www.century-o...at war/turk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.century-o...ight.net/Aviati … r/turk.htm

Here is the Ark:

i have photos of most of the other ship types and planes there…

In a quick survey of the article quoted above i found reference to:

Allies:

eight Farman HF.20

Sopwith Tabloid seaplane

four Bristol, six B.E. 2cs, and six Morones

kite balloons from balloon-carrying ships;

German /Turkish:

three Albatross B.I and one Rumpler B.I aircraft.

Rumpler B1

five assigned Gothas WD2 seaplanes

Here is a quick archive of Planes and Ship at the various actions in the region, ship types including Battleships, British and French, Monitors, Aircraft service and carrier ships, and destroyers…submarines were also very significant in this area…

http://www.gamefront...nelles Pics.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gamefront.../files/20706921 … s+Pics.zip

Director and Lead

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

#75 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:50

Hello VonGerlach

afew things stop the progress of map making at present
1. water on the very edges of map do not continue for ever , i posted a picture somewhere on the forums that shows this , but that may change with the new water thats been made fingers crossed for the future
2. can not place roads or rail ( maybe in the future )
3. ingame map that you press "m" to navigate doesnt show up , only the standard 3 maps we have presently shows up and this also includes the load up map with airfields to select and which side you want to fly with , again this only shows up as the 3 standard maps we have presently , so a new map can not be made independant and would have to overwrite original map at present day , i hope im wrong on this point , and in the future again this is allowed.

apart from that, i have made landscapes and water and placed forests that works very well in rof , but navigating without road n rail is awkward and ofcourse with no map :)

so no point releasing them as a mod till we know how to vector map the two items (roads n rail ) have a work around for water on the edges of the map and a map that can be navigated "ingame" maps :)

But it is nice to fly round a map thats a mountain range it would be nice to have a ingame map to navigate by and roads to follow and vector

placing existing rof buildings and airfields in the editor all works fine, with any new map created.

Ships would look great in the new water when its released.

Best Regards
Tony

#76 VonGerlach

VonGerlach

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:55

Ok, sounds good, I will be happy to help with info, historic data and details on ships and the events of the combat as I have studied it in detail over the years, partly from official Royal Navy record in the UK. It was a remarkable episode of the war …even tho it was quite disasterous and poorly managed…but there were indeed air engagements of a number of different types and even some of the first air to ground bombing, albiet it very primitive ..by both sides…and extensive use of sea planes as there was not much level ground for the British and French forces, near the front… tho the Turks and Germans had a number of decent airfields for their use.

Director and Lead

"We Build Worlds"

#77 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:47

i dont think Gallipoli would be a good map for ROF at present , so i made a few palestine area maps :)
with the plane sets we have and future possible planes it would suit better ad my fitting till seaplanes arrive

only snag with palestine maps is a whole set of 3d model buildings have to be made ontop of the scenery landcape
but the landscapes made and neary textured properly

#78 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:02

Nice work WP! :S!:

#79 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:16

Nice work WP! :S!:

+1

I may have said this before but the N11 debuted at the gallipoli campaign, thatsaid probably very minor, but I think the lack of roads would be made up by the terrain which would be very distinctive.
We need more 1915 aircraft and 1915 seaplanes (were there that many?) before this can really take off.

#80 VonGerlach

VonGerlach

Posted 24 August 2011 - 15:44

Palestine would certainly be interesting, esp if it included the Trans Arabian Railroad that Lawrence did a number on.

Director and Lead

"We Build Worlds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users