- - - - -

Gallipoli Map (WIP)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:06

Gallipoli Map

This post will be a Work In Progress (WIP) , so all can see what is being created.

Rise of Flight have given permission to create new maps to increase the virtual world.

ANZAC Day – 25 April – is probably Australian and New Zealand most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
The creation of what became known as the “ANZAC legend” became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the ways they viewed both their past and their future.

The Gallipoli Map will cover the tactical battle area , and in time i will show the actual map area so you can all see the new map being created.

For now the below photo's shows the rough area , i have been given permission to create.

3D Models and buildings , will be made to be added and i will post updates of these 3d models as they get created.

Best Regards
RAF_Wolf

#2 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:21

Gallipoli Map

This post will be a Work In Progress (WIP) , so all can see what is being created.

Rise of Flight have given permission to create new maps to increase the virtual world.

ANZAC Day – 25 April – is probably Australian and New Zealand most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
The creation of what became known as the “ANZAC legend” became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the ways they viewed both their past and their future.

The Gallipoli Map will cover the tactical battle area , and in time i will show the actual map area so you can all see the new map being created.

For now the below photo's shows the rough area , i have been given permission to create.

3D Models and buildings , will be made to be added and i will post updates of these 3d models as they get created.

Best Regards
RAF_Wolf

Wow!

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:24

That's great! But what aircraft were involved in the battle?

#4 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:32

S!

The Sopwith Tabloid,Albatross B1, Gotha, Farman HF.20.

While we do not have this plane set, I think given time we may have.

But in the mean time I would be happy to fly around in a Camel and a Albatross DII.

Thanks RAF_Wolf for your work.

RAF_Smiladon

#5 catchov

catchov

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:05

Great work RAF-Wolf :o

http://www.century-o...at war/turk.htm">http://www.century-o...ight.net/Aviati … r/turk.htm

#6 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:14

Nice, looking forward to this.

Minor thing: your legend says Image is a batallion. Well, it merely denotes the troop type (infantry), the unit size is denoted by the symbols ontop.

The Anzac forces on that map are actually larger than the turkish division according to the nato nomenclature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6A">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6A

Sorry for nitpicking, just trying to prevent future confusion :)

#7 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 29 May 2010 - 15:35

The map / picture was just an example of the Area :) not the actual brave people.

#8 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 29 May 2010 - 15:38

Hmmm Gallipoli, one of Churchills greatest blunders. Looks like its going to be a nice map. Hopefully one day we will have the right planeset for it.

#9 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:46

Yep it will happen :)

Im looking forward to when the rise of flight developers release the ARK ROYAL Carrier :)

I can make it , if they want me to have a bash at creating it :D

#10 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:26

If I may ask, are you the same chap that was doing the cockpit for the Westland Whirlwind, Magister and Ohka in Il-2?

#11 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:33

Thanks Wolf, your a credit to the Anzacs, cant wait digger ;) . Go on…. get him to do a carrier Neoqb.
Thanks
Louie

#12 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:32

HEHE Louie :D

To be honest i would need some seriously detailed blueprints of The Ark Royal Carrier to even consider having an attempt on creating one , photos just would not make it happen.

The Ark royal was in Gallipoli waters for a short time i believe it ferried the sopwith tabliod planes to an island nearby before it headed back to the Mediterranean.

I think in the future when more ships are released the map would become much more historical battle area.

Anyway , i worked out a fair area that will be the map area

The size of the map will be just over half the size of the original rise of flight map , so i figure with estimated guessing this would reduce and issues that people have seen regarding Large map sizes by around 50%
Plus the map only has trees and ground details on half of the actual map, because half will be water so in theory that would reduce the issues people have seen in large maps by half again. meaning only 25% of the problem , all guesses of course, but it should result in a smooth gameplay map that will in time have greater use when rise of flight release Ships / Carriers and Submarines ,Destroyers ,Cruisers and other ocean going vessels.

Fingers Crossed for the Ark Royal Carrier , the first true carrier.

#13 PeterGrozni

PeterGrozni

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:15

I really hope this map will be added only as an optional download.

#14 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2010 - 00:15

PeterGrozni , what do you mean please

1. you do not want 3rd part people making the terrain maps
2. you do not want gallipoli map

Are you looking at the map in my last post and thinking that is the finished item ,for your information it is not finished , many more items would need to me made and added ,it is just an example of the area thats being created , no roads, forests ,rivers ,buildings ,trenches or more importantly TEXTURES have been added its just raw map straight from satillite data file with corrections.

No map is ever made that people have to download , if you dont want to download when this Gallipoli Maps is finished then do not download , simple short n sweet.

How the map is released will probably be as mod maps but maybe not , that is up to Rise of Flight Neoqb , but if it is MODs ON maps.
I will personally organise a server that can cater for the mod maps to be hosted online , if you wanted to fly in that server you would need to download the map to fly.

Just like skins on planes you need to download to SEE them :) , the only difference is you would not see the default skin because ,,,you did not download so you did not enter the server.
Thats a "Mods On" Server

#15 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:49

Let me know how I can help Wolf, the more content, the more interest will be created in the game, the more players, the better for all. I have no idea about the aviation side of Gallipoli but already you have sparked an interest and i will research it more. Already I feel in spirit, i'm going back in time, and so I say "poo poo to the nay sayers". Tell them you're gonna charge $9 for the download, the argument will change, 100% will want it, because those who previously didn't can now change tack but still get to bitch.
May their lovers pubic hair turn to fish hooks,
S!
Louie

#16 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:45

LMAO ! Louie :D

Well i know the location of some airfields for both sides , infact some are still presently airfields and can be seen from photos and google earth , which helps alot.

As for Ark royal blue prints, i can only find the below, sorry its just not detailed enough to use to make a 3D model , well not one that would be the level ROF standards.

#17 PeterGrozni

PeterGrozni

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:05

PeterGrozni , what do you mean please

1. you do not want 3rd part people making the terrain maps
2. you do not want gallipoli map

Neither. Sorry if I offended you.
I commented as I did when I realized how many addons we might have in the "near" future. I remember how did it look with il2 "free" addons where there are mixed quality addons, from top notch maps to aircraft with horrible FMs and fantasy gunnery, all packed into one package. I used maybe a few aircraft and two maps. All the rest was just taking up my HD and increasing loading time. I just don't want to be forced to download 50+ GB addons for RoF one day and then use 5% of them. I don't mind you guys making maps or whatever addons you like. Just don't force them on me in case I don't like them, or plan to use them. That's all.

#18 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:31

Hi Peter, from the standard of work already, and the exacting standards the fans of this sim have demanded, i feel no fear that the Neoqb team would allow sub standard work (even if Tony decided to produce some in opposition to his own passion for the game and personal pride. Mainly i know they wouldn't for fear the server hosting this forum would melt down.
If you didn't play the map, your system would not load it so it would have zero impact on load times, mods on or off. Yes, if it is an approved expansion to the original map, it may have to be downloaded once as part of an update, but please, please, please don't discourage anyone who is passionate enough to spend time enriching our experience in game. I read your original post (now gone…. was it the fish hook curse?) and i can understand if Raf Wolf took offence… I did. Don't assume that content which does not directly appeal to you is not valid, or of interest to others. You made alot of presumtions, don't you trust the best sim to just keep getting better. I can't follow how some minds here work, some want all extra content for free, others, now it seems, dont want any extra content at all. Rest assured though Peter what ever anyone wants, we all demand that all content be of top quality; me, you, the Devs and of course Raf Wolf himself (its his work/pride )and i for one are willing to pay.
Louie
P.S. 50GB of extra content, couldn't care if I only use it once… cause i know it will be good. You have probably made the best argument for a continuation of Neoqb's marketing strategy that i have yet heard.

#19 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:36

There is a reason why i chose Gallipoli Map area :)

One reason was im in New Zealand and lived in Australia and well Gallipoli and Dawn Parade 25th April is The Day of Pride , sadness , but honour , the time the people from downunder showed the fighting spirit for the very first time at Gallipolli…

I think the world looks at these two nations differently from Gallipoli onwards because of the way they fought , making the Anzac Legends.

Second reason is because by making this map , would mean NEW BUILDINGS being 3D modelled and introduced to the map editor which in turn adds to the things the map makers can do with creative ideas in the future.

Thirdly , i know that in the future more and more ships will be introduced to rise of flight it happens very slow but steadly within flight simulations in the past and will again here , at the moment we have two ships :) , 6 months ago it was none :)
I hope for destoryers , cruisers and hold breathe forThe Ark Royal CARRIERS to sail the sea and land and take off from :)

fourth reason is simple Gallipoli area has less road structure than lets say an English coastline or france coastline , this part of turkey was populated but the road structure was basic in 1915 so creating the map will be slightly easier to complete and a good learning curve for helping others with different map projects to complete harder area's

Peter im a wolf with lots of questions , i just ask , i never got offended if i was offended, i would of told you.

:)

#20 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:06

Great stuff Wolf!

http://www.nationala...TID=5039467&j=1">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/cata … 039467&j=1

http://www.nationala...6&CATID=5014807">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/cata … ID=5014807

http://www.nationala...6&CATID=5013699">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/cata … ID=5013699

http://www.nationala...6&CATID=5013477">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/cata … ID=5013477

http://www.nationala...691&cid=5-6#5-6">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/a2a/ … id=5-6#5-6

-and lots more from-

http://www.nationala...earchType=Quick">http://www.nationala...ves.gov.uk/sear … Type=Quick

Let me know if I can do anything to assist you mate, I'm a pack animal :)

Ming

#21 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 31 May 2010 - 13:07

:) okay EAF19_Ming heres a challenge :)

Find a 3 or 4 view of the HMS Ark Royal 1916 , its name was changed after some-time to "HMS Pegasus" and then it was changed again to i believe "Anita I"

The reason its name changes to pegasus was so the NEW modern version of the Ark Royal could be commissioned.

Need fairly detailed design of HMS Ark Royal, TOP view ,SIDE view ,FRONT views ,and or, REAR view .
Like the picture in my above posts which unfortunately did not have a front view or rear view to work out depth and shape of a 3d model top view is not enough sadly.

BluePrint would be heaven :D

If you can find good quality then its possible to make 3D Model HMS Ark Royal , then send it to Rise of flight to install and set sail , unless they are making one already.

P.S Ming i have not got a clue how you get information out of that website heheehe just tried for afew minutes and ended up back where i started from hehehe but dizzy !

Best Regards
RAF_Wolf
Tony

#22 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 31 May 2010 - 13:53

WOW, talking about good news, I can't wait for the release but first of all, take your time and good luck with this great project.

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#23 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 31 May 2010 - 15:28

RaF Wolf "P.S Ming i have not got a clue how you get information out of that website heheehe just tried for afew minutes and ended up back where i started from hehehe but dizzy !"

Thank god for that, you too huh :oops: must be an Aussie thing… perhaps a colonial filter.
Louie

#24 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 31 May 2010 - 17:51

Hi Tony, no you cannot get at the documentation from that website because the documents to be viewed are original documents. Hence the frisson seeing Wilbur's signature in there :)

You can take a maximum of 15 photocopies in one day or any amount of photographs

For copying scale drawings you'd need the flat photocopy bed with a weighted cover. Photocopiers there are massive with lengthy queues, place is jam-packed all day

I offered you the info on how to go about finding original documents, maybe plans. But you still need to physically go down to the Archives in Kew, you'll need first to obtain a Reader's Ticket (2 pieces of ID including one with your signature (credit card) and one with your address, utilities bill)

If I get a chance and no one else offers to do that for you I'll pop down there eventually, all-day job by the sound of it there's hundreds of documents (if you're lucky) in each catalogue number - big boxes

Three boxes you can pull up at at any one time, only one can be taken to the work table. Each block of three boxes is minimum waiting time for delivery- 40 minutes. Slow job and it's a crappy cafe.

Carrier plans/blueprints are of course top secret so you will be lucky to find a plan of the ship I should think, but every little helps with the immersion. Possible future immersion :)

In the meantime you might want to seek out all the references (archive numbers/codes) to the Ark Royal on their website for future use, see if one comes up with a plan mentioned in the reference. It's a plan :)

Ming

#25 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 01 June 2010 - 00:52

Curse my anscestors for stealing that bread, for the first time I feel the punishment of transportation. Now THAT sounds like a library worth being quiet for.
I have a mate in the U.K. (D-Boy) whose uncle flew Tomcats, so maybe with a little cross polination I may be able to get a few extra players and maybe some time at Kew. He is highly intelligent and a whirlwind once enthused but is otherwise a sloth of a man who wouldn't work in an iron lung so other avenues are best explored first.
Louie

#26 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:56

S!

Hmmmmm Ming and RAF_Wolf, This could be the start of a beautiful friendship…. :lol:

RAF_Smiladon

#27 catchov

catchov

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:23

Elementary my dear Watson. But which is who ?

#28 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:57

It's a Zeppelin thing. :shock:

#29 catchov

catchov

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:09

Ah I see :) Never mind. As Aussies we 'ere is chuffed by Wolf's intentions. If Ming assists in his inimitable manner then all the better says I. :D The sooner the better in fact, if only to get those bloody D7F's off my tail. How do you do that ? It is impossible, oui ?

#30 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:06

I've got a handwritten report of the first test of Count Zeppelin's airship and all the War Office papers going back and forth. Quite large was noted :)

And there's a truly massive number of documents (possibly hundreds) on British airship squadrons which in my innocence I didn't think were all that important, wrong. Early on airships were all anyone had. I've got quite a few mission-building-content shots out of the airships archive and there's real photos in there too. Confirmed that thing about the gasbags being made of some sort of skin used in the trades. Like the stuff condoms were made of before rubber

I got the airships stuff after seeing the very interesting thread in here about the prospect of us having airships one day. Is anything more romantic than seeing one of them sailing sedately along? And then going down in flames yes Algy :)

If Ming assists

You bet I will :)

Ming

#31 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:28

Sweet, its sounding more and more like a goer then, an ANZAC map in Gallipoli, Zeppilins In Europe and the Ark Royal somewhere in between. I can't wait…. I won't wait. Time for new hardware all round, better shine up the red cards Ming ;) , god help anyone bitching about poor performance on a twin core now. Nothing can halt the wheel of time or inevitable progress, out of the way or be crushed I say.
Thanks Ming and RAFWolf
love
Louie
P.S. Just kidding Ming, don't worry, I should be a bit milder in the forums, i've upped the medication to half a carton/day to help me understand them better.
P.P.S. Was it here i read it took 5000 cows gut to make a Zeppilin? Gee thats alot of colostomy bags for the farmer to empty.

#32 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:38

You're fine Louie no worries :)

red cards

I'm still thinking about it… both red and green are looking good to me. This 285 is awesome though so no rush. For once :)

I miss tesselation and the other DX11 goodies though, hardware/tech-head junkies will understand :)

Ming

#33 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:00

Oooh Yeah, the techno bug is biting here too, A new gfx card coud be just the thing for young Sam's, my 1yo next birthday in a month.
Louie

#34 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:19

Ok after a night of searching for Hms Ark royal drawings it does not exist , i did find Hms furious drawings which was one of the fist flat deck carriers

Nice thing is by doing the searches i found 4 really detailed maps of Gallipoli hahahaha

So im happy with the time spent searching :D

#35 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:56

Yep sorry, me too, could only find reference to the Ark Royal comissioned in 1939. It's a bit easy to get sidetracked doing this sort of thing huh… now I wont get any sleep ya bugger. ;)

#36 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 01 June 2010 - 13:12

http://commons.wikim...:Ark_Royal_1914">http://commons.wikim....org/wiki/Categ … Royal_1914

http://www.battleshi..._royal_1914.htm">http://www.battleshi...ruisers.co.uk/a … l_1914.htm

Not much but it gives you an idea

#37 dro_hydro

dro_hydro

Posted 01 June 2010 - 13:24

Rock on RAF_Wolf your efforts are much appreciated.

#38 parasol12

parasol12

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:16

http://www.turkeyswa...n/aircrafts.htm">http://www.turkeyswa...n/aircrafts.htm

Albatros D.II (Late) - Ottoman FA 6 - Ltn Emil Meinecke

http://113squadron.com/id151.htm">http://113squadron.com/id151.htm

http://en.wikipedia....ine_Brigade_RAF">http://en.wikipedia....ine_Brigade_RAF
"In addition, by the summer of 1918 the Brigade also had a balloon company, an aircraft park, an aircraft depot and an engine repair depot. In August, the Brigade was strengthened by the addition of a single Handley Page 0/400 biplane which had been flown from England."

#39 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:50

Thank you very much !

Really appreciate this , it all helps :)

Great links !

#40 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:10

Hello with name change :) sorry if it causes confussion.

Just a note for all who know me , i am changing my online game name and forum name to WolfPac

I hope this does not cause any problems regarding Rise of Flight

So from today onward my name will be WolfPac :)

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users