Global announcements

Online RR_Raptor65
Немой / TongueTied
I'm at my wits end here, RoF is constantly crashing.
I get maybe 5-10 minutes of mission time before the screen freezes, then turns black and the windows error dialog pops up. What's worse is the game keeps running in the background as I get to hear my plane slam into the ground or get shot to pieces even though I can't see anymore.

On top of that, I'm stuck in the Snap view mode even though I have Pan view set clearly in the options and F9 doesn't appear to do anything at all. Hitting the "Unlink view from cockpit" key allows me to move look around in the cockpit with my mouse but I can't move my view with the Insert/Home/Ect keys.

The camera problem isn't a big problem, I can still play alright without being able to shift myself around the cockpit but the crashing is extremely frustrating and I'm on the verge of just uninstalling the game entirely. The game itself runs smooth as glass even on high graphical settings but I can't play it when it's crashing in the middle of a dogfight.

My PC specs:
Intel E8500 3.16ghz Dual Core
Powercolor Radeon 4830
Asus P5B Motherboard
3 GB RAM
Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3
DirectX 9.0c

I've updated my video and sound drivers in an effort to try and fix this and run the recovery in the launcher several times but it had no effect.

#1 Post Sun 06 Feb 2011, 01:12

Offline catchov
Глас / Talking Guru
Try turning HDR to medium settings.

Black Screen Multiplayer

#2 Post Sun 06 Feb 2011, 01:36

Online RR_Raptor65
Немой / TongueTied
It's actually on medium right now and I've even turned it off before too. My problem doesn't match the problem in the thread you linked. The entire screen goes black, including any 2D interface objects.

What happens is the video will freeze, then after 1-2 seconds it switches to a blank black screen. 3-4 seconds later the Windows program error dialogue pops up and once I click "Don't Send" that ends the program and I'm back to my desktop.

It's not picky about when or where it decides to crash, I can be cruising along on my own, in a dogfight with any number of other planes around or even just sitting on the ground trying to figure out why I can't change my view mode so I can zero my gunsights.

#3 Post Sun 06 Feb 2011, 01:55

Online O_catarM
Общительный / Talkative
What is your vidiocard temperature? Maybe save the error/log message an post it here
Image Image

#4 Post Sun 06 Feb 2011, 02:58

Online RR_Raptor65
Немой / TongueTied
Nothing gets above 30 degrees, I've got a fan about the size of the computer itself keeping it cool so heat is a non-issue.

However I think I may have discovered a possible cause of the crashing. I turned Mods off and suddenly it's no longer crashing, if I turn it on again the crashing returns. This is disappointing because I like to be able to paint my aircraft, but at least I can fly now without being thrown back onto the desktop after 10 minutes.
I can try to record the crash log, but when I went to get it from the Temp folder it had already gone, but the error cause ranges from 'unknown' to pretty much any of the game's DLLs, often the gfxShared.dll, fmodex.dll or enviro.dll.

The cockpit camera still won't work properly though, F9 still doesn't do anything either.

#5 Post Sun 06 Feb 2011, 09:55

Online Han
RoF Team
Oh. If you have crashes only in Mods On - that is means that you have modified something wrong.
Try to make a clear separate installation of RoF and try it there.
Rise Of Flight project manager
Любое движение вперед - есть результат хорошего пинка сзади.

#6 Post Wed 09 Feb 2011, 21:53

Online RR_Raptor65
Немой / TongueTied
I made a clean installation on a separate drive and applied my custom skins. The skins work perfectly in-game, but the game still crashes. I'd like to stress that I have changed nothing and only added the custom skins to the game directory.

In this case I have added two .dds files saved from Photoshop CS3 in "...\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\Skins\FokkerD7F\". I also added a single skin for the Albatros DVa and a single skin for the Gotha.
All are saved as DXT5 interpolated alpha with Mip Maps.

I managed to save two crash reports when it decided to let me onto my desktop, uploaded here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/268505 ... compat.txt
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/268505 ... compat.txt
These links will expire after 7 days of no downloads.

#7 Post Sun 13 Feb 2011, 19:45

Online Han
RoF Team
And crashes are still only in Mods On?
Try to delete ANY content from
<RoF_folder>\data\graphics\skins
folder. Does this helps?

#8 Post Fri 18 Feb 2011, 00:01

Online RR_Raptor65
Немой / TongueTied
Yes, it doesn't crash without the added skins. I'm pretty sure it's not the skin files themselves causing the crash since I've sent them to someone else and he's been using them with no crashing. As far as I can tell, the textures are identical to the official skins in format, even the filesize is the same.

I think I may just back up the official skins and replace them with my skins and see if that works, I never use the official skins anyway.

#9 Post Sat 19 Feb 2011, 14:16

Online Han
RoF Team
Actualy, it may depends form videocard.
When you saving DDS yous should use ONLY DXT5 with Alpha and mip maps.
You also may to send such "strange" skin to rof@777studios.net for investigations. Support it by comments about how you have created this skin.

#10 Post Wed 23 Feb 2011, 06:44