Global announcements

Online hq_Peter_Zvan
Неумолкаемый / Chatterbox
Seems like its a week of problems for me.
After my graphics problems and pedal problems I have now gotten a joystick problem.
I have bought a brand new CH Fighterstick. Ordered it monday and got it today. Sadly I must say that it dosent work as it should as far as I understand it.

The problem I am having is that when I move the stick to a certain position (say Y 160) it kinda sticks to that position. What that means is that if I hold the stick on that position and than move it slowly and a short way I get no difference on the Y axis. And that is for about 3mm of stick movement. Than it "finds" its right position again and works correctly. Also if I have a constant movement of the stick everything seems ok.
In ROF that means that I have overall nice control of the plane, however when I have to be very accurate (gunnery) I have delay and miss the right spots. And I have to move the stick too much to get the wanted movement.
Needless to say this is extremly frustrating as the idea was to finnaly have a nice and accurate stick compared to the Logitech Attack3 I had before. As it is now I am acctually much more accurate with the Attack3 as it translates any movement of the stick into acctuall movement of the plane.
Obviously I followed the instalation procedure and tried different usb ports, restarted computer... Also tried using the same port and my old joystick - and that was responding correctly.
Has anyone else experianced the same problems? Is this the way it should be (I am preety sure not). Could it be that I got a really old one and that the pots are oxidized or something (mine has the SN (serial number) 12412).
Hope I dont have to ship it back to the shop (had to buy it over the web in Germany as they dont have a representative here) and / or wait for it to repaired for a long time. That would really be dissapointing.

#1 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 01:16

Online LukeFF
Beta-tester
Is it calibrated? Set up properly in the ROF control interface? I've never had a problem here with my Fighterstick.
Enjoy the game for what it is, not what you would like it to be.

--Tom Cofield

#2 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 01:49

Online hq_Peter_Zvan
Its calibrated and problem is not only ROF related. It is also present if I go into te CH software.

#3 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 01:56

Offline ATAG_Bliss
Couple questions followed by a couple suggestions: Are you using default curves? If not make sure your curves are at default. A simple error in a user made curve could make any stick not move during part of its travel.

2ndly are u using the CH software for calibration? Make sure all your trim wheels are centered, then calibrate with ch manager Save that profile to whatever u like (in ch software), then hit file/open/ur profile name. Then you should see a download button at the top of ch manager (normally grayed out). Download your profile into ur stick. Exit ch manager and u should be ready to play. I always open my profile and download to my ch stuff every time I've started my pc as I use 4 ch devices and the software turns them into one. I would do that process everytime you start ur pc as well. But you do not need to ever re-calibrate EVER unless you decide to re-load an operating system.
www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum

#4 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 02:05

Online hq_Peter_Zvan
I use default curves. So nothing hidden in there.
The problem is most visable in the CH software anyway as I see the raw data not changing when I move the stick.
The calibration was made with the CH software.
I havent even gotten that far to make special profiles for the stick - I just installed it, calibrated, flew for a bit, checked what was happening and got frustrated.

One thin is really interesting - the throttle dosent seem to suffer from the same problem. So I guess that rules out any software instalation problem.
Can someone check their Serial Number and also say when the stick was bought. I suspect mine is old and was standing idle for a long time - during which the pot's got oxidised or something. Comparing your SN and date with mine could help me understand if it was just made or if it has been tucked away somewhere for 5 years.

#5 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 02:16

Offline Viper69
Глас / Talking Guru
Mine is in the 15,000s and I have had mine 2 years. What condition was the box in when you received it? Also did you order it directly from CH or say Amazon? I ask this because I bought mine from CH directly.
Gigabyte GA-EP35C
Intel Q9450 Quadcore
Giga HD-5870

#6 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 02:20

Offline ATAG_Bliss
Mine is 16233 and it's about 7 years old now. (trying to remember when i bought it exactly!) But maybe the SN is done per year?

The download part is important though. It's what flashes your stick to what ever settings you use in the CH control manager. (per your current PC session) So run through the calibration screen just like before and hit save (will bring you up a maps file - just use w/e name you like to save with) then hit the file (upper left) select what you just saved - then hit the download button that should upper next to the keyboard looking on the upper center portion of the control manager. Then see if it's corrected.
www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum

#7 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 02:22

Online hq_Peter_Zvan
When I recieved it, the box was closed wraped in plastic (like it should be) and everything looked like it was never opened before. I ordered it over at the official German retailer that's listed in the CH dealers on their hompage (retailer is http://www.aerosoft.de/shop-rd/home1.html). Service was good - got the order after two days no trouble whatsoever.
I am at work at so cant try anything, but will try reinstalling everything and saving / updating as you suggest Bliss when I get home.
I sent a mail directly to CH about the problem and depending on what they say I might ship it back to the shop I ordered it from.
As far as the serials go they would suggest they go the other way around or they have no date relevance at all - tnx for posting them with the date though.

#8 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 07:08

Offline Rockin-Rollin
Скромный / Lurker
Sorry u got problems with your joystick, I have a CH fighterstick 3 months now, and enjoy it much more than my Saitek pro. Have u tried your old joystick again and does it work as it used to? Also what operating system are u using. After all the fixes you have tried, and since you say it only happens on one axis not the other, Im sorry to say it does sound like you have a bad pot. Dont know if this will help, Hope u find a fix soon.
For all those who dont like me calling the dolphin a fish, This is a picture of a Dolphin. Good eating to!

#9 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 08:40

Online hq_Peter_Zvan
Yes - old joystick works fine.
I am using windows XP.
It happens on both pitch and roll axis and not on the throttle axis.
Could be 2 faulty pots (faulty batch) or simply a comunication/update error - either way it dosent look good atm.

#10 Post Thu 09 Dec 2010, 09:08