Global announcements

Online gavagai
Глас / Talking Guru
For the first time in a long time yesterday, I got hung up on my score. I managed an 8 kill sortie in the Spad13 over a furball lake mission at Syndicate, and just as I landed to exit, the server lost authentication and everyone was dumped. :cry: :D

But really, is the Spad13 the best plane in RoF? I know it is not newbie-friendly, and I fly without track-ir, but I feel near invincible when I fly it. It's nearly as fast as the SE5, but doesn't over-rev so quickly in a dive. Moreover, the placement of its two machine guns is preferable to the SE5. So if you have some experience with energy fighting and don't mind the forward visibility issues, there are sound reasons to pick it over the SE5.

Naturally, the Sopwith Camel is the best Entente fighter for furballing and dominating 1vs1 fights, but it cannot reliably extend from a bad situation. The ability to engage and disengage at will cannot be under-valued, and the Spad13 can disengage quite easily from both the D.VIIF and the D.XII (but why would you disengage from a D.XII? :D ). The Spad13 is also one of the best climbing aircraft in RoF, and can regain an altitude advantage again and again against all but the D.VIIF.

So here we have an aircraft with effective armament, high speed, the ability to disengage at will from any opponent, and a superlative climbrate; it's also a rock-steady gunnery platform with well-balanced controls. Clearly, the Spad13 is the best fighter in RoF. 8-)
FM-BITCHER
Dear 777, please give us historical airspeeds for Rise of Flight.

#1 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 13:51

Offline Viper69
Глас / Talking Guru
I have always felt the Spad 13 in the hands of somone who could fly it on the edge and use its superior speed was always going to win. I have been up against Spad pilots who refuse to fight my fight and I cant beat them. So yes I think the spad is all around the best balanced(balanced in a meaning it is a decent turner with alot of speed)

The only thing I dont like about the spad is rear visability. I cannot see over the brown headrest. granted I think it was designed that way so the pilot sat lower than the slipstream for better performance and less drag.
Gigabyte GA-EP35C
Intel Q9450 Quadcore
Giga HD-5870

#2 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:00

Online SYN_Ricky
Общительный / Talkative
It's my favourite plane in-game, I've flown it nearly exclusively flying co-ops in a squad, so it's the one I know better.

I feel safe in it, more than in any other plane. I can usually outrun my opponents, even if I get often wounded/damaged by long range shots while doing so.

I also prefer the twin guns compared to the S.E.5a, I can't aim well with the ring of the S.E. (I have no Track-Ir).

It doesn't over-rev as easily as the S.E.5a and it's very though.

Only drawback is that very seldom score one-pass kills, I usually get delayed kills by killing the engine/fuel leak/crash on landing...

I usually fight more by hit'n'run, diving like hell at the furball and taking opportunity shots, if there's no-one that can jump me I might Boom'n'Zoom straight after the first pass, but there is very often someone jumping you on those occasion, so I prefer the safe way.

If in a tight spot you can perform a very steep diving spiral (at the edge of blackout) that IMHO no other plane can follow without ripping its wings.

#3 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:04

Online hq_Reflected
Глас / Talking Guru
It's not as maneuverable as the SE5a (I mean the low speed handling) but it climbs better and it's just as fast. On the other hand it has a horrible visibility. Nevertheless, I love it! And yes, the gun placement is a lot better than on the SE5a.
http://www.facebook.com/wearereflected

#4 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:07

Online -Requiem-
Open beta-tester
I really enjoy flying the Spad, but I think the SE5 is better for the extra visibility compared to the Spad. The main issue with the SE5 is its weak engine limits while the Spad is a bit more lenient with exceeding max RPM on the engine.

However, once you become accustomed to adjusting radiator, mixture, and adjusting engine revs it is a dream to fly. Overall the SE5 has a bigger pilot workload but the extra visibility makes up for it.

From my testing, the SE5 is faster and more fuel efficient than the Spad is, so couple this with extra visibility and it wins imo :)
This is certainly not taking anything away from the Spad as it is a terrific aircraft and is very forgiving compared to the SE5. I just find that in the Spad I get snuck up on a lot since its hard to see a lot of blind spots, and it is usually a better aircraft to be able to extend away in quickly due to the stronger engine.
Rise of Flight - Instructional Videos____________________ IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad - Instructional Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS_________ http://www.youtube.com/RequiemBoS

#5 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:07

Online SYN_Ricky
Общительный / Talkative
I'd say the S.E.5a is a better all-arounder, in some circumstances you can turn with german planes, in the SPAD doing so is asking to be shot-down (except of course if your opponent is badly damaged and can't turn as usual).

#6 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:09

Online XTRMNTR2K
Общительный / Talkative
That's funny. I was wondering if the SPAD XIII was actually THE WORST plane in the game lately. Not only does the S.E.5a almost anything better that's important (speed, climbrate, visibility from cockpit) but for some reason, I can't figure out how to fight effectively in a SPAD XIII for my life. Or maybe it's just not for me; when I'm trying to shoot down a SPAD, I have a hard time downing it without wasting hundreds of rounds. When I'm flying it myself, the AI drops me out of the sky with the first shot - even on average. :? For some reasons, even the N.28 works better for me.

So yeah, the SPAD is probably awesome and I just suck at flying it. Still a shame, I'd like to master it as it is such a beautiful plane. :(
Ingame player name: Freiherr Arngrim von Rittershoff
Q6600 @3.0GHz 4GB | GF GTX260 | Win 7 32 | G940 | TrackIR v4 | 24" BenQ LCD
My RoF videos: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=9894&start=0

#7 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:11

Offline ATAG_Bliss
Неумолкаемый / Chatterbox
Gava,

You were in the zone there, dropping planes left and right. It's a shame that master browser took a crap.

I like the spad as well, but seem to be more efficient in the N28. I think I'm soo used to worrying about cooking the SE5 engine that the thoughts of energy fighting with the spad crosses over from piloting the 5. I know I definetely don't get everything out of it I should. But in the right hands that bird is amazing, especially performing snap rolls at high speed.
www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum

#8 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:26

Offline MattM
Глас / Talking Guru
The SPAD XIII is definately one of the best planes so far. It's very similar to the SE5, so every advantage the SE5 has over central planes, goes to the SPAD aswell. Better climbrate most of the time, better speed, good roll performance if you use rudder. As long as you don't get bounced by the enemy, you will have nothing to worry about against most planes (even DRI's), as it can both outspeed everything and outdive them easily (the SE5's engine overrevs even if you switch the engine off, while in the SPAD you can dive straight with engine running at ~60%).

Only trouble plane is the DVIIF obviously. It can still outdive them and rolls better, but the DVIIF is just as sturdy, faster at higher altitude and just as fast at low altitude (except if the DVIIF pilot makes the mistake and doesn't use full höhengas at ground-level). So fighting 1on1 against a DVIIF is very difficult, if the other pilot knows what he's doing.

The same is true for the DXII also, but it can't climb nearly aswell as both the DVIIF and SPAD, so the SPAD pilot has a good chance against the DXII, except at high altitude, where the DXII can outspeed it.

Well to sum it up, the SPAD is definately one of the safest planes in ROF right now. Main advantage of the plane is, that you can dictate the action and the enemy is most of the time in the defensive and can only react.
i5-4670k - GTX 660 Ti - 8GB DDR3-1600 - TM Warthog - Simped - PC360 - TrackIR5

#9 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:46

Online MiG-77
XTRMNTR2K wrote:
That's funny. I was wondering if the SPAD XIII was actually THE WORST plane in the game lately. Not only does the S.E.5a almost anything better that's important (speed,climbrate, visibility from cockpit) but for some reason, I can't figure out how to fight effectively in a SPAD XIII for my life. Or maybe it's just not for me; when I'm trying to shoot down a SPAD, I have a hard time downing it without wasting hundreds of rounds. When I'm flying it myself, the AI drops me out of the sky with the first shot - even on average. :? For some reasons, even the N.28 works better for me.

So yeah, the SPAD is probably awesome and I just suck at flying it. Still a shame, I'd like to master it as it is such a beautiful plane. :(

SPAD XIII outclimbs SE5a. It is second best overall climber in game (after D.VIIF) and fastest at low altitude. ;)
I'm not sure that speaking about dildo is appropriate on this forum. Although everyone may write some deep thoughts on this subject, I'd like it be deleted before I see it. -Taleks about freedom of speech

#10 Post Thu 15 Jul 2010, 14:50