Global announcements

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Online O_WolfPac
Modeling Team Member
I think ,,, but i might be wrong here :)

Roads n rail are X,y,z co-ordinates , maybe same style as rivers in you only draw the water , i think you only draw the road on the hieght map and delete what is not road...if that make sense ,,, so even if the landscape is altered the texture of the road or rail stays at its old location.
example...if you add a mountains to an original rof map ,the mountains hides the road , or if you make a valley the road texture looks as though its floating bridging the valley.

I would not want to post a photo example sorry :)
Like yourself its our trial and error , trying to make maps long ago , we gave up when we hit the mini map ingame map problems.
The only thing we was able to do regarding roads was re-texture them... we made them dirt tracks in a desert.
Again i would not be posting photo :)

We think the bin files are height map files of the road structure , but 3dem does not open it

sorry i cant help any more than this
www.OceanicWing.com

#61 Post Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:52

Online AnKor85
Неумолкаемый / Chatterbox
I see. Thanks.
I've read other topics on map making here. Not sure if I fully understand the problem but minimap is just bunch of dds tiles that are referenced from .info file:
First, in a .Mission file:
GuiMap = "swf\data\maps\05.01.1918.info";
Then inside 05.01.1918.info:
&tilesPath="map/map1/"
And swf/maps/map1/ contain the tiles.
Thus I can make my own .info file that tells to use my own minimap. I've just checked and it works. Or there are something that I don't understand?

Anyway, as much as I want to research and find out how roads and trenches are stored a part of me says that it is just an useless waste of time. I would love to see trench lines move over time but alas...

#62 Post Fri 09 Mar 2012, 13:39

Online O_WolfPac
Modeling Team Member
Im going to have to re-look into this :) your post might have the answer LOL
Sometimes the obvious is right infront of my nose

The problem we had was regarding the mini map ingame M key
We made the map standalone a lets say 4th map then we made the ingame mini maps for this 4th map.
problem came when ingame , the startup load map with locations of airfields showed up as verdun map , we selected a airfield , spawned in on a desert terrain airfield and pressed M key and verdun map mini map appeared

We never worked out how to add a 4th minimap so we stopped making the Desert Map
www.OceanicWing.com

#63 Post Sat 10 Mar 2012, 01:09

Online 89
Boy, I am so happy that this thread is alive, that Jason finds this project important, that AnKor85 is not discouraged... :)

IL2-like ME is one thing that RoF needs desperately- yes, few people write campaigns, but yes, hundreds of thousands of people downloaded missions/campaigns for IL2 from Mission4today, Suhkoi, Aviaskins, SAS etc etc...

Buying new planes and maps will have a big incentive in the form of multitude of things to do with them- all the things we saw in IL2 missions + RoF own capabilities...

More missions/campaignes=more incetinves to buy RoF planes,maps, gadgets= win win win for all of us :S!:

Go AnKor85! :)
The Blue Max... its a piece of scrap worth 5 marks... I did it for flying!(c)

#64 Post Sat 10 Mar 2012, 15:38

Online AnKor85
Thanks, 89!
Almost a month has passed since I opened this topic, but I can't show results yet.
I've chosen a difficult path of creating a new layer of objects on top of those used in the editor. Implementing it requires a lot of thought and work, and the progress is not easily observable from the outside. The 2D renderer I'm building in parallel is something simple compared to this task.

#65 Post Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:30

Online O_WolfPac
Modeling Team Member
AnKor85 :)

Thank You , worked a treat :)
www.OceanicWing.com

#66 Post Mon 12 Mar 2012, 03:50

Online AnKor85
Small update while I have time to post.

I'm getting close to making the first "demo" build of the editor. The main purpose of that build will be to show that the project is alive and then get some rest for me.

It will NOT feature any high-level objects I described before. I've put a lot of work into them and they are the main goal but just aren't ready to be displayed yet.
Instead it will look more like a simplified and cut down official ME: you will be able to load a mission, see the map and objects as icons, move them around and edit their properties. The set of supported objects and properties is going to be incomplete so you won't be able to do anything useful yet. Additional editable objects will be sold as DLC for $0.99 each... nah, just kidding.

I can't say yet when this build will be ready. You'll probably get the Halb.CLII earlier :)

#67 Post Wed 21 Mar 2012, 07:26

Online J.j.
Глас / Talking Guru
AnKor85 wrote:
You'll probably get the Halb.CLII earlier :)

I wouldn't bet on that, and thanks alreay for the job done! As already said above, this is a very important project in my opinion, almost as important as the famous patch which allowed us to get rid (mostly) of the ROF. exe errors.

#68 Post Wed 21 Mar 2012, 07:50

Online 89
AnKor85 wrote:
Small update while I have time to post.

I'm getting close to making the first "demo" build of the editor. The main purpose of that build will be to show that the project is alive and then get some rest for me.

It will NOT feature any high-level objects I described before. I've put a lot of work into them and they are the main goal but just aren't ready to be displayed yet.
Instead it will look more like a simplified and cut down official ME: you will be able to load a mission, see the map and objects as icons, move them around and edit their properties. The set of supported objects and properties is going to be incomplete so you won't be able to do anything useful yet. Additional editable objects will be sold as DLC for $0.99 each... nah, just kidding.

I can't say yet when this build will be ready. You'll probably get the Halb.CLII earlier :)

Great news, AnKor85!
I am sorry that so few people register their gratitude here, but I know that once your goal is accomplished you will be the hero and knight in shining armour who single-handedly saved RoF's single player.:)
The Blue Max... its a piece of scrap worth 5 marks... I did it for flying!(c)

#69 Post Wed 21 Mar 2012, 15:51

Online AnKor85
Ok, the Halb is released and now it is my turn to show something :)

It is really not much to show. I was hoping to show more but right now the most interesting features are in the middle of development and can't be shown.

What you need to get it running:
.NET Framework 4.0 - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17851
XNA Framework 4.0 - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=20914
You may have the former already installed but already having XNA is unlikely.

And finally this is what will become the editor someday: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2918136/QuickEditor.zip

Unpack the archive somewhere and launch EditorUI.exe. Ignore UnGTPv2, it is used internally.
If your RoF is installed in non-standard folder the editor will ask for the path for 'data' subfolder inside RoF. The path is saved then for further use in ROFPath.ini file.

What can it do? Almost nothing :)
It shows the main map rendered as minimap (with an option to draw terrain, although incomplete).
It allows to load the .Mission or .Group file and display objects as icons.
Objects can be moved and some (very limited set) of properties shown and edited.
That's all. It can't even save a mission right now (but actually just because I don't want you to ruin any of your files, internally it is implemented long ago).
No error handling so if something wrong happens it will just crash.

As I said this version does not show the actual state - a lot of interesting things are hidden inside and can't be shown. Once I get past some obstacles the development will become much quicker and easier. However, I have other things to do now, so I may get back to the editor after some pause.

#70 Post Mon 26 Mar 2012, 19:23

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next