Global announcements

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Albatros D.V - Jasta 32 Ltn. Rudolf Windisch - 2-fer
Poll ended at Sat 11 Feb 2012, 22:42
a. Yes, I agree to add this paint scheme in protected mode 100%  100%  [ 21 ]
b. No, I disagree to add this paint scheme in protected mode 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21
Online Panthercules
Dev. Partners
This Albatros D.V, Serial No. unknown, was flown by Ltn. Rudolf Windisch while serving with Jasta 32 in the Summer of 1917. It had a black nose, and its fuselage was adorned with a zebra pattern of black and white stripes. Windisch arrived at Jasta 32 in February 1917, after piloting 2-seaters in bombing and recon missions on the Russian front. Windisch scored his first victory flying scouts on 19 September 1917, and two months later his total had risen to 6, when he downed a SPAD VII which was captured and later flown by Windisch in combat. Windisch's Albatros D.V was photographed in a lineup of Jasta 32 aircraft, displaying its zebra stripe pattern on the fuselage and two star markings on the upper wing. Windisch eventually was credited with 22 victories, before being forced down and disappearing behind enemy lines on 27 May 1918 while serving as commander of Jasta 66.

After further consideration of the photo and information posted by elephant below, I decided to make this a 2-fer - one version (the original one) based on the photo/info I had, and another version (the new one below) based on elephant's photo/info. Here are the two versions:

New version (Windisch 1):

Original version (Windisch 2):

The profile picture I found depicts all the black stripes as having constant width, but the photo I have clearly shows some of them tapering toward the top in a zebra-like pattern, so I chose to go with the photo version for Windisch 2 (which also shows wider cross borders and thicker stars on the top wing). The new Windisch 1 version has the constant-width stripes, the thinner stars and normal top wing cross borders shown on the other photo that elephant posted below.

References:

Over the Front, Volume 17, Number 3, Fall 2002, "A Man for 'Sonderfilme', Rudolf Windisch" by Hannes Täger, pp. 216, back cover.

Also, Aerodrome Forums: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/windisch.php

and Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 77, Albatros Aces of World War 1 Part 2, pp. 57, 59, 65, 90.

Download (updated with 2-fer): http://www.mediafire.com/file/nol1rjrmh ... _2-fer.zip

Votes and feedback are welcome.
Intel Core i7-4770K @3.5 GHz
ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780, 3 GB
Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

#1 Post Sat 28 Jan 2012, 22:42

Offline =69.GIAP=MIKHA
Глас / Talking Guru
A big yes! :S!: MJ

#2 Post Sat 28 Jan 2012, 22:44

Online elephant
Глас / Talking Guru
A very colorfull and appealing scheme, but I'm afraid that the profile you relied on, must be
erroneous...

Attachment:
Albatros D.V 1055~17 Rudolf Windisch - Jasta 32b (Terry Phillips via Greg VanWyngarden).jpg
Albatros D.V 1055~17 Rudolf Windisch - Jasta 32b (Terry Phillips via Greg VanWyngarden).jpg [ 61.48 KiB | Viewed 1202 times ]

I have this photo of the plane and IMO, the struts and wheel covers doesn't seem to be painted with any paint other than the factory gray metal primer.
(That gray primer had a greenish tint, for others brownish-tan)
it was close to RLM 2, not jast plain medium gray as it's often depicted.)

Dan-San Abbot wrote:
Quote:
It seems all the cowlings from the Alb.D.I throught the Alb.D.V were painted grey tinted with green with a result of a color about like WW2 RLM grau, possibly a little lighter. With the Albatros built D.Va the cowling and metal parts and fittings, access doors, louvers etc., were a little darker than RLM grau.
Blue skies,
Dan-San

Check out this link of Australian War Memorial:

http://www.awm.gov.au/visit/visit-musts ... efront.asp

Their interpretation of gray primer and dark green-lilac camo colors:

Attachment:
2868636205_07d36511b0_o.jpg
2868636205_07d36511b0_o.jpg [ 128.4 KiB | Viewed 1193 times ]

Back to your skin,
the stripes look quite parallel in that pic...notice also, the border around the cockpit cut out.
The stars on the top wing seems like normal stars of David and the upper crosses don't have such broad border as in your skin...
Bottom line don't rely on profiles... :?

:S!:
Team Johannisthal
Last edited by elephant on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.

#3 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 00:40

Online ImPeRaToR
Beta-tester
Quote:
With the Albatros built D.Va the cowling and metal parts and fittings, access doors, louvers etc., were a little darker than RLM grau.

You learn something new every day :)

What colour did OAW actually use for the cowling of the D.III and D.Va, since they did use something similar to RLM 02 on the struts on the D.VIIs?
Non quia difficilia sunt, non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt!

#4 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 00:45

Online elephant
Глас / Talking Guru
It was something similar too...

Here are some color chips from a recent research by Rufe, a member of "The Aerodrome",
matching Methuen to Resene color codes.

Attachment:
SR3.jpg
SR3.jpg [ 108.08 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Also a strut relic of an OAW D.Va (D.5a as written), showing original paint:

http://www.awm.gov.au/visit/visit-musts ... efront.asp
Team Johannisthal
Attachments:
AlbatrosD6670.jpg
AlbatrosD6670.jpg [ 129.53 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

#5 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 01:11

Online Panthercules
Dev. Partners
@ elephant - The red color on the struts and wheels was based on the profile, and it certainly may have been wrong. However, the profile was associated with a very long, detailed and seemingly well-researched article about Windisch, so I assume that the profile artist was basing the red color on something in that research, rather than on some idea that those parts would have been red on the default factory-finished aircraft. Unfortunately, the article itself did not specifically address this aspect of his color scheme, so I can only speculate. Those parts are in shadow on the photo I have, so I can't really tell.

BUT, the stripes (being tapered) and the stars and wider cross borders on the top wing of my skin were based upon a photo, NOT on the profile. The photo I have is not as clear or closeup as the one you posted above (and it's a different photo, not just a different copy of the same photo), but those elements are shown pretty clearly and definitely look different from those in your photo to me. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there were two planes, as the stripes on your photo do look to be of constant width, but the ones in my photo do not. The caption/description of my photo does say that the aircraft "is said to be Windisch's aircraft", so maybe there was some question about it, or maybe the details evolved over time? It seems unlikely that two different pilots in the same Jasta would paint their planes in such a similar fashion, but I suppose it's possible.
ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780, 3 GB
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

#6 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 01:57

Online Panthercules
Dev. Partners
First post updated - I found my magnifying glass so I could take a closer look at the photo I have. It looked like the stars on the top wing might have been regular 6-pointed star shaped, but they are still thicker than the stars on the photo elephant posted above. The stripes still look tapered, so I left them like that so far, but it did look like there was some sort of a black border around the cockpit and I did add that (it doesn't look quite like the border in the photo elephant posted).
ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780, 3 GB
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

#7 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 04:10

Offline Dr.Zebra
Глас / Talking Guru
black-n-white stripes? count me in!

#8 Post Sun 29 Jan 2012, 05:05

Online Panthercules
Dev. Partners
First post updated to add a second. alternative version based on the photo and info elephant posted. I suspect that either these were two separate aircraft (some pilots did have multiple, similarly-marked aircraft available to them - although Windisch had not achieved that many victories in scouts at this time, he had gained a fair amount of prestige from his exploits in 2-seaters so may perhaps have been given the privilege of painting multiple aircraft), or perhaps his paint scheme evolved slightly over time and the the two photos depict the same plane at two different times in that evolution. Either way, since there's photographic evidence for both versions, I figured we might as well have them both to choose from.
ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 780, 3 GB
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

#9 Post Tue 31 Jan 2012, 07:20

Online Barkhorn1x
Неумолкаемый / Chatterbox
Very nice!!

#10 Post Mon 06 Feb 2012, 22:52

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next