Global announcements

Online Silenoz
Нескромный / Immodest
Until recently, I have had no problems with the default response settings for my joystick... That was until I had to destroy a convoy using only the MG's I found the rudder to be too sensitive. Sometimes the pitch is too sensitive too on planes like the DR-1.

So I have had a go at changing the responses but I have no idea what im doing or understand the joystick setting sliders.

I want to make the rudder less responsive and the same with the pitch too.

Cheers.

Steve
Athlon II X4 3.00ghz
8 gig DDR2 OCZ ram
Nvidia 260GTX using latest drivers
3 HDD (160, 320+1TB)
Soundblaster Audigy
670W PSU

#1 Post Wed 16 Mar 2011, 15:36

Online Miggins
Глас / Talking Guru
Have you had a look at the Wiki? Specifically this bit...

http://en.wiki.riseofflight.com/index.p ... =Responses

...hope that's what you are after.
Cheers

Miggs (hq_Miggins)

http://www.hellequins.net

Akhenaten, the prince formerly known as Amenhotep IV

#2 Post Wed 16 Mar 2011, 19:33

Online Silenoz
Нескромный / Immodest
I am still having problems with the response settings... mostly on the Camel, DR1 and SE5a which tend to pitch up, have tried changing the pitch response, even tried copying the settings on the wiki which Miggins posted and the camel will nose down. Seems no matter what settings I use, I cant find the sweet spot. Its more of a battle in the cockpit, fighting to keep the plane level or in firing line than the actual battle in the air.

I have few problems with planes like the D.II + III, D.VII, Dolphin and most the others.

Would adjusting the 'deadzone' help?
Athlon II X4 3.00ghz
8 gig DDR2 OCZ ram
3 HDD (160, 320+1TB)
Soundblaster Audigy
670W PSU

#3 Post Mon 28 Mar 2011, 19:46

Online Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt
Неумолкаемый / Chatterbox
I definitely need to increase my rudder dead zone.

Sitting in the cockpit with the engine off and no enemy aircraft around (the only place I feel sort of safe), just moving my stick back and forth I see the rudder deflecting.

#4 Post Mon 28 Mar 2011, 22:14

Online Miggins
Глас / Talking Guru
What I suggest you do is start a quick mission with the Camel (or SE5a) at around 1500m with no enemies.

The Camel needs a lot less curve editing than the SE5a does, so you will need at least two curves setting up, I think before I got the FFB2 stick I had only 5 curve setups. One was specifically SE5a, one specifically Camel, one was for DrI, the rest of the rotaries shared another and the inlines were all on the last profile.

When in the air you can open up the controls/responses page and edit the curve for pitch. Just start easy with dragging down the central point until you are happy with the setting that will give you steady level flight (save after each edit).

Once you have done that and got confortable level flight for your stick, you can then add in extra points to the line and smooth out the gradient transitions (otherwise you might find the plans seems to "jump" at these points).

Do the same for the yaw (roll was OK as default for me I think). You will wand a flatter curve towards the centre so you have finer control around rudder centrepoint and more course control the closer you get to full rudder deflection.

Flatter response curve means more joystic (or pedal) movement for less control surface movement (so you get the ability to add tiny amounts of rudder or elevator and thus achieve finer control), the steeper the response curve means less joystick (or pedal) movement for more control surface movement (so it's actually harder to make small adjustments in this area).

It's all about trading fine control in one area of the curve for less control in another area.

Here's a thread from a while back specifically for the SE5a, hope this helps.

[Tip] How to pitch trim the S.E.5a?
Cheers

Miggs (hq_Miggins)

#5 Post Mon 28 Mar 2011, 23:22

Online Silenoz
Нескромный / Immodest
Thanks Miggins, have got the Camel flying more or less level, a bit more tweaking I think. Flew a career mission and got 5 kills which is rare for me... normally only get 1-2 per mission.

Will work on the SE5a sometime this week and will let you know how I get on.
Athlon II X4 3.00ghz
8 gig DDR2 OCZ ram
3 HDD (160, 320+1TB)
Soundblaster Audigy
670W PSU

#6 Post Tue 29 Mar 2011, 09:09

Online Miggins
Глас / Talking Guru
Setting these things yourself is way better than simply using someone elses curves too, you might feel comfortable with a very different "feel" to a plane setup than I might be, so starting from scratch and getting things how YOU want the planes to feel will be a lot better for your future improvement in the plane in question.
Cheers

Miggs (hq_Miggins)

#7 Post Tue 29 Mar 2011, 18:44