LOFT → 8. April 2011 15:32

Field Modifications

Dear Pilots,

Today we would like to show you some surprise items coming to ROF that you will be able to experience on your computer soon. It's fun to work with such an enthusiastic team because they always put in extra hours and sometimes this extra effort is spent researching new technologies or ideas and surprise breakthroughs are the result.

One such idea is the creation of WWI Gunsights! Since the creation of the British S.E.5a, many of you have asked us to create an "Aldis" sight for it. We never ignored this idea and we knew that we would be able to do it at some point in the future. For instance, attachments points for this sight have been installed on the aircraft since its first release. Amazingly, the future arrived sooner than we thought and soon you will have the opportunity to add the Aldis to your plane. This simple idea, combined with an interesting engineering solution, allowed WWI pilots to have a more accurate aim. We tried not only to reproduce the look of the instrument, but also accurately convey how it works.

Certain German planes will also have a special gunsight available to help them aim. It will be available in two versions, for day and night use. The day sight will be equipped with an additional filter that allows the reticule to be seen even in bright light. The in-game execution of this filter will be simulated in the project very realistically.

After finishing principle work on these sights, we decided to expand the work and adopt an idea that was first requested on the forum. Some of the guys decided to put in extra time to make even more equipment available and for many more aircraft in ROF. As a result, we will offer you additional purchasing options on our website to equip your favorite aircraft with what we are calling “Field Modifications”. Current ROF policy is to provide airplanes in a factory fresh state. This means new aircraft come to the front with equipment options our research has told us equipped these planes as default. As has been pointed out to us on the forum and from widely available data regarding the history of aviation technology of the First World War, we know that many aircraft were fine-tuned by mechanics and additional equipment was added to front-line aircraft. Talented individuals created many small improvements that made piloting early combat planes much easier. These changes were adopted based on hard won experience and often at the cost of a pilot’s life. But even more lives were saved with the help of these modifications and they helped bring glory to victorious to pilots who were able to use these enhancements in combat. The most common modifications in the field was the installation of additional devices such as altimeters, temperature sensors, clocks, compasses, fuel level indicators and lamps for night lighting – some of these items were even taken from downed enemy aircraft and were installed on friendly machines. Sometimes these were trophies, passing from one pilot to another or items purchased from mechanics or traded for with other squadrons. For instance, German fighter aircraft often used RAF gunsights. Our Field Modification program gives an opportunity to experience a similar system by outfitting different planes with their respective Field Mod kits.

You will soon be able to buy these filed modifications in our store. They were created for each aircraft individually, based on already installed equipment and therefore will have different prices. For some aircraft in the package there will be up to nine items and for some only a single item. The cost of the most expensive field modification for one aircraft is currently $5.00 and the lowest is just $1.00.

We will also offer Field Mod bundles so you can outfit many planes at a time for a reduced overall cost.

You can choose which devices to install on your aircraft before each mission in the hangar. You can install all modifications for an aircraft or combinations of them. The exceptions are gunsights, some planes were able to use a couple different gunsights, but you can use only one gunsight at a time.

We hope that such attention to detail will please you. If this idea proves to be popular with our community, we can develop some more cool stuff in this direction and in the future we may be able to offer you different options for modifying weapon load outs for aircraft including some rare options. An example of this could be an additional machine gun on a top wing for several planes, or rear-view mirrors or cutting out sections of the upper wing to improve visibility and many other unique engineering solutions invented during the First World War.

Good luck in your flights and keep watching our News blog for more news!

Comments

Potenz → 4/4/2011 1:48:48 AM #

No bloody way great news, this will be so much fun to personalize our planes

Zent → 4/4/2011 1:59:17 AM #

INCREDIBLE !!! This is fantastic... i think those little details will make people feel even more attached to their favourite planes.. its a kind of personalisation..
seeing forward to buy..

Desode → 4/4/2011 2:33:35 AM #

Awesome News !

surfimp → 4/4/2011 2:40:17 AM #

This is great, thank you!

Mauloch → 4/4/2011 3:02:45 AM #

Finally, the ability to twink our planes.  Great idea!

Endy → 4/4/2011 3:08:58 AM #

Wow, just wow.

FlyingShark → 4/4/2011 3:14:38 AM #

Again serveral dreams comming true thanks to you people's hard work.

Thank you.

~S~

ST_Pip2 → 4/4/2011 3:38:41 AM #

Sweet!  That sounds awesome.  I hope we wont have to purchase all modifications, I hope some are free.  I think we all have made a significant investment in Rise Of Flight.  You have my support all the way!!!

aircastellon → 4/4/2011 4:16:17 AM #

I´ll spend my money with a BIG smile...

What do you think about "pennants" on the leader aircraft?

Thanks

Seiseki → 4/4/2011 5:17:16 AM #

Lovely! I think changes like these are even more exciting than new aircraft!

Keep on adding more things like this! Smile

tonyfed1964 → 4/4/2011 5:29:13 AM #

yeah, I need all the help that I can get.

Anything that can help me try to shot down another plane is always welcome.  Gosh knows I
need it.

Mandelbaum → 4/4/2011 8:08:16 AM #

I can't wait, the cash flow is always well worth the return. You guys have monster database building here, incredible...

][}iesel_][{urt → 4/4/2011 9:20:25 AM #

this sim rocks!!!!

S!

Pierre2 → 4/4/2011 9:52:22 AM #

Absolutely brilliant idea chaps

ami7b5 → 4/4/2011 10:50:15 AM #

I'll certainly do some shopping Smile

BenRobinson → 4/4/2011 12:36:18 PM #

AWESOME , now all i need is a computor to play it on Frown.........

barrelfish → 4/4/2011 1:07:20 PM #

Marvellous idea! This is the sim I've waited thirteen years for, and it just gets better and better. Thanks, guys!

Huovi → 4/4/2011 2:40:31 PM #

Capitalism works. SmileIf you deliver what i want, i am happy to spend money to get it.

Finkeren → 4/4/2011 3:25:42 PM #

With most other games I would never bother to condact the development team with my suggestions on how to make their game even better, but with ROF you just know that they'll listen and try to meet even the highest expectations.

Brilliant work guys, unlike Huovi I'm not raelly a big fan of capitalism but your business model seems to work out great: I pay a lot more for this game than I would for any other, but I never feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Mandelbaum → 4/4/2011 3:30:12 PM #

I think what I meant to say is, "Thanks for all of the incredible work, Field Mods are simply a genius idea!"

Hondo → 4/4/2011 8:47:40 PM #

Wait, wait, wait...the aimpoint is THERE?! No wonder I'm a bad shoot...

Bostjan42 → 4/4/2011 8:54:43 PM #

Brilliant.

hq_Reflected → 4/4/2011 8:55:54 PM #

I love you guys!!!! Smile

MR_BURN2 → 4/4/2011 9:05:03 PM #

Excellent, but did german Aircraft really have this particular gunsight, the reflex gunsight in World War 1 ???

rOEN911 → 4/4/2011 10:29:02 PM #

Hope for some mounting machine guns above planes also,like Dolphin and  Sopwith Camel with dual guns above wing Laughing Really impressive so far.

WWIFlyingAce → 4/4/2011 11:41:52 PM #

That's great. When are you guys gonna FIX the planes that we already PAID FOR that DON'T FLY as they are SUPPOSSED TOO!?

Jokili → 4/4/2011 11:44:25 PM #

Super! Can´t wait for it!
When it will come?

Please, remember Mirros!

Thanks for that great sim...

heitorja → 4/5/2011 12:22:38 AM #

Fantastic!! Any chance to give some of these wonders as a gift to players that had already the complete collection of planes in ROF??? ;)
Thanks for the wonderful job!

Nicky → 4/5/2011 1:27:02 AM #

You guys are brilliant.  I love flight sims and this is (in my opinion) the best flight sim ever made and you guys just keep making it better and better.  I will purchase any and all "field modifications" you guys put out.  I've purchased every plane you've offered and will continue to do so.  With all these new additions and the new career it gives me a really good excuse to go buy that new video card i've wanted.

MCossack → 4/5/2011 2:45:34 AM #

Great addition!
I will support you by buying those field modifications for sure!
It is great steep, keep on!
Regards.

Blackhofen → 4/5/2011 11:02:15 AM #

yes.. was one of my wishes!! thank you!

VonVilanova → 4/5/2011 4:35:31 PM #

And what about scarfs for our pilots?

jimcarrel → 4/5/2011 11:34:02 PM #

And the best is yet to come!
Thanks for all the continuing improvements

Kessler2 → 4/6/2011 7:24:32 AM #

Fantastic!  You keep making things like this, and I'll be glad to keep sending you money!

Aiolos → 4/6/2011 8:01:55 AM #

Α huge thanks from me to ROF developers.All these improvements will be a dramatic improvement in the game!I can't wait to buy all these field modifications.I´ll spend my money with a BIG smile,too...

ST_Pip2 → 4/6/2011 11:26:50 AM #

Nice! will we be able to to scrounge other concered airplanes I. E in career mode like what really happened?  It would be fun to down a fokker near your airfeild and get a gunsight, or gun, whatever, off of it.

Katzenliebe → 4/7/2011 12:30:25 AM #

Naja,
ich finde es nicht so
gut wenn man das alles
kaufen muss, denn so
viel Geld habe ich nicht.

Cypher → 4/7/2011 1:15:26 AM #

Strange question...but why is there a Polikarpov I-16 in the last image?

Awseome job though, looks stunning. Keep up the great work.

Sage → 4/7/2011 2:36:47 AM #

did they have these in WWI also?

Sage → 4/7/2011 2:37:51 AM #

dont start doing this crap it make the game not historical.

242Sqn_Wolf → 4/7/2011 3:28:02 AM #

I hear what your doing for the germans. All I want to see is a machine gun on the wing. That I can fire upwards like on the real Nieuport 11s, Nieuport 17s, SE-5a, and the Dolphins.

I/JG1_Baron → 4/7/2011 3:38:47 AM #

Only one world - genial. Cant wait on release. Keep up the great work.

Max_G → 4/8/2011 2:32:32 AM #

To Sage: Field Mods are 100% historical things based on historical references.

Vasco → 4/8/2011 9:00:23 AM #

Could you add flight commander's streamers to the list please

Rennsemmel_idfg → 4/8/2011 10:06:40 AM #

does the bullet counters disappear in the DVIIF and fokker DVIII?

Herodotus → 4/8/2011 5:37:02 PM #

Some great additions listed there, and many hours of tweaking to look forward to.
Really want those rear view mirrors (very common) and top wing maching guns more than anything.

SirRSmith → 4/9/2011 5:27:02 PM #

this is sweet!

how about an 11mm Vickers? like the one Willy Coppens mounted on his Hanriot HD.1? or, for that matter, can we Please have a Hanriot HD.1? pwetty please?

thanks for the Greatest flight sim of all time! =)

with much love, Sirr Smith

1/JSpan_Wind → 4/10/2011 8:33:52 PM #

Sounds like a good idea. It is also a way to keep the work of developers.

I hope nobody asks MK-108 cannon :-D

Congratulations!

SirRSmith → 4/12/2011 4:13:21 AM #

JSpan..... you frighten me! =)

Newguy → 4/14/2011 12:31:39 PM #

Very good idea! I am very excited! My only problem with them is that I cannot buy them now!

inferno-canada → 4/17/2011 9:41:29 PM #

I just want to know when it will be released.

Stickyfinger → 4/20/2011 6:44:43 AM #

Rockets for my Pup please Smile  cool

Stickyfinger

Pigmachine → 4/20/2011 8:43:29 PM #

Hurry up while I still have money left! Damn Addictive sim! And almost as addicting to buy the planes at easter sale! I need all upgrades to my albatros D.II now! Tong

FEA99*KuK → 4/23/2011 1:53:07 AM #

hm i dont hav ethe money for this-....

Tvrlek → 4/24/2011 12:20:35 PM #

"For instance, German fighter aircraft often used RAF gunsights"
That is not true. More rarely than often. I like the idea od field mods but I will not like to have aldis sight in every albatros. Also additional MGs in some planes (which should be there with the release of the plane) should be free of charge.

FlatSpin → 4/24/2011 2:00:45 PM #

Cant wait for this!
thanks for the best sim in history! Laughing

PikAs53 → 4/27/2011 12:40:24 AM #

Well, I hope that there will be some of the gunsights and instruments which I showed on the photos in my threads, and not to much futuristic equipment like this WWII gunsight.
Did the fieldmodifications include finaly also a better performing DVa in respect of speed??

LukeFF → 4/28/2011 4:21:31 AM #

There is nothing futuristic about the gunsight. It was used in WWI.

Siegfried → 5/1/2011 7:24:47 PM #

Why not add extra wheels for Gotha V? They were historical and will be a great for landings...

lukekout → 5/4/2011 5:31:32 PM #

hi when will be realse pls?

MarkydeSade → 5/13/2011 10:26:13 AM #

Having just bought the game and all the planes and mods can somebody confirm when the mods will be availble.

IrishRatticus → 5/16/2011 9:02:32 PM #

Just bought the Iron Cross Edition, and, after playing only 20 minutes of it, went and bought 6 add-on aircraft.
Haven`t had as big a smile on my face from playing an aircraft sim since Knights Of The Sky on my trusty Amiga 500 waayyy back.
Thanks guys, keep reaching for the skies.......

Irishratticus

Jaded → 5/22/2011 7:02:47 PM #

Why there ain't any field mod for SPAD 13, Breguet & Albatros D.Va?

jastaJ30 → 6/4/2011 6:55:11 AM #

All these mods are great, but are they evenly distibuted across the board for both sides? if the english side is to get a newer bomber, the breguet, sorry for mispelling, that seems to have twin guns, fly faster, then how about twin guns in the gotha bomber? its hard enough to bring down a hadley as it is, with its twin gun mount.

British Ace → 4/9/2014 1:36:24 AM #

Just got all of the field mods for the Bristol Fighter. I love how I can now personalize my favorite plane of WW1!

Calendar

«-  April 2014  -»
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
31123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
2829301234
567891011

View posts in large calendar